Hello, First Rimless Tank Help w/ Poll

What should I do about the countertop under this rimless tank?

• It's fine, fill it up with water

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Regrout

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Find a new surface to install altogether

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Struansmochkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I'm setting up a Waterbox 25 peninsula. This is my first foray back into reefing since a long time back and my first rimless tank. I've setup on top of an existing countertop and now I'm second guessing the install. The countertop is tile and seeing grout line depth under the built-in Waterbox foam pad is giving me concern.

Going to sleep on the idea of re-grouting over the existing surface to smooth this out before proceeding. What would you do?

Thanks,
Shawn

(Edit: typo)

tank-close.jpg tank-wide.jpg

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be fine where it is, however I seem to spill water and I am a bit worried that water would get in the grout lines under the aquarium and cause the grout to soften, probably not a big deal but I dont know.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WB comes with pre-installed mat. I would be completely comfortable with this as long as the tiles are nice and even/flush.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't worry for a tank that size and built in mat, as someone mentioned protecting the counter would be my larger concern.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be just fine. It does have the mat and even if it looks like there are gaps under the mat now, once you fill with water there shouldn't be any with all the water weight.

OP
OP
Struansmochkins

Struansmochkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks, I'll double check the tiles are reasonably flush.

For points about protecting the counter, it was designed as a wetbar and I'll be installing leak detection sensors so I feel it's safe enough. I've kept a slightly larger rimmed tank here before too so I know it's structurally sound too.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. To be clear though, are you suggesting I add another layer of foam to the builtin waterbox self-leveling mat?
Totally my bad !! , I just looked again at your pic and for some reason I did not notice that it had a Matt and I wear glasses lol!! . I retract my statement and add that it should be fine . Sorry ! . I would be concerned though about spills following the grout lines under the tank .

CosmicMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally my bad !! , I just looked again at your pic and for some reason I did not notice that it had a Matt and I wear glasses lol!! . I retract my statement and add that it should be fine . Sorry ! . I would be concerned though about spills following the grout lines under the tank .
I didnt notice that either. Maybe the weight if the water will close those gaps. If not maybe some black caulk around it if you dont want water to get in.

OP
OP
Struansmochkins

Struansmochkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to @Cell for the advice on checking tile flushness. After closer inspection I found a somewhat significant highspot. I balanced a level there to check the gaps at each end and it was close to the thickness of the built-in foam pad. I ended up moving forward with an additional sheet of EVA foam I found at Michael's for $9.

The tank has been setup for some time now and seems fine. I'll be looking to post additional write ups on my par testing my nicrew light, driving that with a hydros controller, and my overall tank build soon. Just need to get this darn thing to cycle next.

Here's an overly blue picture with my phone for now. Thanks again everyone.

(Edit: I originally credited @HBtank for a tip from @Cell . Both had good feedback and I should drink 3 cups of coffee before posting to forums :) )

tank-filled.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

• I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back