Hello from Canada and help

forgetfulreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing for about 7 or 8 years now and freshwater lots before that. I am currently running a 90 gallon system. Hate to start off with a problem but i currently have dinoflagellates (ostreopsis) Yep did the microspcope check . This is first time having them and i am having a hard time figuring out if there is a sure way to kill the lil buggers :) I had recently neglected my tank by letting my kids take care of it for the last year .
Well needless to say they let everything die ugh, except my 2 clown fish a pink pencil wrasse and a cardinal as well as some mushrooms. Well i have taken the tank back and with no surprise found nitrates were off the charts as well as phosphates etc. I did an aggressive clean with bio pellet reactor and dosing Red Sea Algae Management as well as GFO and some carbon. I finally got all my parameters back to normal nitrates down to 2ppm phosphates at .02
Calcium 440 alkalinity was at 8.9 but starting to drop currently 7.5 , calcium stays the same , Magnesium is high tho, over 1500 ppm , by how much not sure. Anyway once i got things all back to normal and my tank restocked with corals a beautiful new rainbow bubble tip anemone and a couple new fish BAM DINOS!!
Any help or a place to start would be appreciated the thought of a complete reset scares the crap out of me lol. i have started by raising my ph up slowly trying to get to 8.5 as i read that will help. Added some copepods as my sandbed seems to be lacking in life as well . 5 inches of sand btw was going to be a deep sandbed but ran out of sand lol but i think 5 inches classifies as one . Waiting on a bulb for my uv sterilizer not sure if i should use it to. OK i think thats it for now and where i am at right now. Thanks for any and all help
Your forgetfulReefer :)

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to r2r!i'll let the others chime in on the dino problem sense we have some REAL experts on this one here.i will say that you should post some pics asap of your tank.we all love pics here and it makes it a little easier to help out.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I would give this thread by @mcarroll a read through. Lots of good dino info there.
tenor (4).gif
#WelcometoR2R

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new reefing family. Sorry to hear about the dinos... it's not something I've had to deal with (he says while knocking on wood).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back