Hello from Canada, (SW Ontario)

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

My wife is in awe of seahorses. I really want to get her a dedicated species tank with them in it one day.

I would agree the brown town is probably due to the tap water. Conditioning may be removing the chlorine but any other pollutants will continue to build as you add top off due to evaporation.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome fellow Canucker! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

welcome.jpg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and the community! I'm from Toronto. There's plenty of is from Ontario and the rest of the country. You are right about it being expensive here and we don't seem to have the livestock availability as our neighbour's to the south. I would move to the US just for this hobby. :)

That's a great looking tank and patience is definitely a virtue in this hobby! I'm using conditioned tap water as well (at some point I will get a RODI gizmo). The uglies definitely start to fade but it takes awhile. Just keep on top of water quality and stability. :)

OP
OP
Dustinmicks

Dustinmicks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

My wife is in awe of seahorses. I really want to get her a dedicated species tank with them in it one day.

I would agree the brown town is probably due to the tap water. Conditioning may be removing the chlorine but any other pollutants will continue to build as you add top off due to evaporation.
You're right, I'll get a rodi contraption soon, seems you can get a decent one that doesn't need to be plumbed in for around 200$ cad, I'm just a bit worried about all the waste water

Seahorses are fascinating. There was an older gentleman by the name of ray who used to breed them here in London but I guess he gave that up. So sad, because I'd love to snag a few, but spending 250$ each just isn't in the budget for now and it'll be a while before I can justify that cost. Hopefully raise a few babies along the way and get a little community going

OP
OP
Dustinmicks

Dustinmicks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and the community! I'm from Toronto. There's plenty of is from Ontario and the rest of the country. You are right about it being expensive here and we don't seem to have the livestock availability as our neighbour's to the south. I would move to the US just for this hobby. :)

That's a great looking tank and patience is definitely a virtue in this hobby! I'm using conditioned tap water as well (at some point I will get a RODI gizmo). The uglies definitely start to fade but it takes awhile. Just keep on top of water quality and stability.
To be honest I haven't tested the water in a week and a half and everything seems to be doing great. I've been working an average of 72 hours a week playing catch up so I have a good excuse haha. But I've been looking at rodi systems and I think I'll spend 200$~ish for a lower end one to start and see how it goes

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I've definitely lurked some of your posts and you seem to know your stuff. Looking forward to learning what I can
Anything I can do to help - I'm just a PM away! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back