Hello from Dallas.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef keeping was my husband's hobby for the last thirty years. Although I really enjoy its beauty, I was only involved peripherally in its care... basically cleaning algae and aiptasia off of the rocks when necessary. Sadly, he passed away at the beginning of March. My first thought was to sell the aquarium, but when I saw how little money sellers were getting for their setups, I just couldn't do it, knowing how much he had invested. So after months of neglect and specimen loss I decided to dive in. I've been doing lots of reading online and figuring things out, but I am here to learn more. I have spent hours upon hours cleaning, rearranging, and have recently added a few things. I'm pretty proud of the way it looks today.

20210907_172101.jpg
Hi Suzan, My condolences to you. I lost Corygirl in 2013. She too was an active member here. What you're doing is awesome and will benefit you in many ways. You couldn't have picked a better place to get guidance. Good luck and if there's anything we can help you with just yell!

Attachments

• 9D17D67D-B322-4DDE-B85F-3FB8C0FB95F9.jpeg
    9D17D67D-B322-4DDE-B85F-3FB8C0FB95F9.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Suzan

Suzan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Suzan, My condolences to you. I lost Corygirl in 2013. She too was an active member here. What you're doing is awesome and will benefit you in many ways. You couldn't have picked a better place to get guidance. Good luck and if there's anything we can help you with just yell!
Thank you so much. I'm sorry for your loss as well. Btw, that's a good looking red bubble!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef keeping was my husband's hobby for the last thirty years. Although I really enjoy its beauty, I was only involved peripherally in its care... basically cleaning algae and aiptasia off of the rocks when necessary. Sadly, he passed away at the beginning of March. My first thought was to sell the aquarium, but when I saw how little money sellers were getting for their setups, I just couldn't do it, knowing how much he had invested. So after months of neglect and specimen loss I decided to dive in. I've been doing lots of reading online and figuring things out, but I am here to learn more. I have spent hours upon hours cleaning, rearranging, and have recently added a few things. I'm pretty proud of the way it looks today.

20210907_172101.jpg
Hi Suzan and Welcome! I'm Lisa and we're close - I'm in Grand Prairie TX near new Ikea. I also like Saltwater Paradise in Irving

So very sorry for your loss. Don't know how it looked before you got busy with tank, but WOW - it looks GREAT!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Suzan

Suzan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Suzan and Welcome! I'm Lisa and we're close - I'm in Grand Prairie TX near new Ikea. I also like Saltwater Paradise in Irving

So very sorry for your loss. Don't know how it looked before you got busy with tank, but WOW - it looks GREAT!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)
Thank you, Lisa! We really are close. I've passed by your IKEA many times, lol.

I like the idea of documenting everything in one place, so will definitely start a build thread, thanks. I've only been aware of this forum for a couple of days, but I can already see how beneficial it will be. I appreciate how friendly and wiling to help everyone is, and who doesn't love a badge, lol.

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for your loss, suzan. the tank's coral look amazing and the fishes too---esp, the Flame Angel. welcome....you are at the right place to learn from all the great reefers here----i'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge everyone here brings

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Steve! I would love to see your tanks.

Dallas North is a nice store with beautiful tanks and livestock. We have traded in frags and anemones there for years. My conversation with one of their managers back in March was what prompted me to take on this hobby. I was told that since the start of Covid, customers no longer interested in the hobby, or able to afford it, have been giving them their tanks for free if they would just come pick them up. My tank and the hydra lighting was purchased new from them, so they were able to refer to our account in their system. They offered me ten cents on the dollar. That was a big nope.

Thanks for the tip about School of Fish. I will definitely check them out. There's a small shop in Irving I like, Saltwater Paradise on 183 & MacArthur. It's a small family operation. They are super friendly, helpful, and carry some nice corals.
Glad Dallas North has been helpful. Yes they pay next to nothing for used tanks. But when you think about it, they operate on a 50% margin. So if they sell used equipment, they make less money even when they only pay 10%. I have purchased some of their used equipment and some fish that came in with tanks. It's certainly hard on the sellers, but I get it. And they have more tanks being offered than they can even handle. They are being stacked up behind their store. I fear someday they will pick up my tank!

I'd be happy to have you visit our office after our new tank is set up and running. I have another thread going for that you can watch. Posted a big update this week.

Thanks for the tip on the store in Irving. I'll check it out.

I do like Fish Gallery in Addison. There store is just fun. Like a mini Rain Forest. :)

If you speak with School of Fish tell Lee (the owner) I'm the guy that bought the Lunula, Goldflake and Golden Heart on Memorial Day weekend. Tell him I said he would treat you well. :cool:

If I can ever help in some way let me know. Although I only deal in the fish side of things.

Steve

OP
OP
Suzan

Suzan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad Dallas North has been helpful. Yes they pay next to nothing for used tanks. But when you think about it, they operate on a 50% margin. So if they sell used equipment, they make less money even when they only pay 10%. I have purchased some of their used equipment and some fish that came in with tanks. It's certainly hard on the sellers, but I get it. And they have more tanks being offered than they can even handle. They are being stacked up behind their store. I fear someday they will pick up my tank!

I'd be happy to have you visit our office after our new tank is set up and running. I have another thread going for that you can watch. Posted a big update this week.

Thanks for the tip on the store in Irving. I'll check it out.

I do like Fish Gallery in Addison. There store is just fun. Like a mini Rain Forest. :)

If you speak with School of Fish tell Lee (the owner) I'm the guy that bought the Lunula, Goldflake and Golden Heart on Memorial Day weekend. Tell him I said he would treat you well. :cool:

If I can ever help in some way let me know. Although I only deal in the fish side of things.

Steve
OMG, I haven't thought of fish Gallery in several years. Thanks for the reminder! I used to go to the Greenville store. Is it the same owners?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back