lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!
Here are some resources you may like

If you like to read

If you prefer video’s. This video series is “5 minute guide”, good info. BRS TV has lots of different series.

Here’s a getting the most out of Reef2Reef link

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the welcome and the tips! I'm really excited. We are headed to a few of the saltwater specialty stores this weekend to have a look at the livestock. The tank isn't ready just yet, but we're off to a good start. The first issue has cropped up today, and I may need to get a chiller as the tank temp reached 82 (Up from my target 77). Nebraska's bipolar weather makes keep a relatively stable temperature in the house sometimes difficult, hah.

Someone wanted pictures, right now there is only 20lbs of dry rock in the tank, with another 10-15lb going in before the proper cycle starts. Here is a picture for the folks wanted one. :) Don't mind the salt sitting on the glass walls, its from the initial mixing of the saltwater (It has no fish, so I cut out the middle man for the first fill). I have a 55g rubbermaid trashcan I'll be using with a powerhead for all future mixing.
tank1.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

djstud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm a saltwater newbie and a freshwater vet of 15 years. I've always wanted a reef tank, and after selling it to my wife, she has finally approved of it. (With one caveat, she wants to see hermies, hah). Being from Nebraska, the saltwater stores are few and far between, and being 3 hours away from the nearest one, I'm wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for reputable online places, I've read good things about LA and TMS, but saltwater is understandably more expensive livestock wise, and I'd just like to ensure our first purchase, at the very least, is going to have a chance.

That said, I have a 32g biocube (Couldn't resist the setup!) and I will be using a 10g tank that I will be setting up for QT. Additionally, from your experiences, and I know it varies greatly by each persons own biological system, I'd like to include a few hermits and snails to add a little bit of diversity beyond the fish and coral that will eventually call it home. I've read so much conflicting information when it comes to how many. These fellas won't be used to keep an algae problem under control, but more for the diversity of the system. Can a few of you vets offer some advice?

As my tank is set up and only been running for 2 days, we still have a long way to go.
I'm excited to join the community!
I am also from rural Nebraska. Not counting Petco, which is 2 1/2 hours away one way, my closest saltwater store is over 4 hours, one way. I purchase most of my saltwater fish from Live Aquaria. They are real good on the Arrive Alive Guarantee. I have had good luck purchasing Soft Corals from Aqua Corals. She has an excellent selection of softies. I believe that she is based out of Maine. Shipping is pretty high but quality is excellent.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reefing world! Also welcome to the largest online reef forum out there! R2R is a great place to gain knowledge and learn from all kinds of hobbyists!

If you are interested I have a reefing channel I have had going this past year and nearing 1K subs! Think its been a fun little "family" I have grown and its a fun community as well to be a part of! Think after R2R, YouTube can be one of the best places to get information on reefing! Again welcome!

Back