Hello From North Carolina

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I've been lurking for quite a while, and actually thought I'd posted an intro, but just realized I never had.
Over the years I had several freshwater aquariums from 20 to 100 gallons. Then none for about 10 years.
Suddenly about 2 years ago I wanted a Jelly Fish Art Tank. I kept them alive for about 9 months. In the midst of that I got a 3 gallon tank and got a coral banded shrimp, feather duster, and a mandarin goby. Obviously I didn't do any research and the LFS didn't give me good advice.
The mandarin starved almost immediately, I moved a few of the hermits from the jellies in to clean up in the tank, and we still had a huge ammonia spike.
The shrimp looked stressed.
My husband immediately tried to solve it by buying me a real tank. He brought me home a 35 gal bowfront, live sand, live rock, Fluval canister filter, heater, etc. That has been up and running for over a year. me
I don't think the tank ever got cycled completely correctly. I've had trouble with the nitrates, ammonia and phosphates from the beginning, and sometimes the Ph.
Only once have I had a big issue which we refer to as "the big ammonia spike" where everything died. (except for "Scotty" our engineer goby, he's still alive today)

Currently in the 35 gal we have: Scotty (Engineer goby), a fire fish goby, Scissortail Dartfish, Falco Hawkfish, Six Line Wrasse, Scooter Blenny, Lawnmower Blenny, Cruella - our Coral Banded Shrimp, a red serpent star, a banded brittle star, 2 turbo snails, several Nassarius snails, 2 emerald crabs (maybe more)
We just lost our beautiful Coral Beauty - RIP Princess.

Anyway, we are in the process of setting up a new tank, where everything will move to. The new one is a 75 gal, with a custom built cabinet, Trigger Systems Triton sump, Reef Octo Skimmer, Orbit Marine LED lighting system, eFlux Wave Pump Kit, and the rest is still in progress/being decided.

I'd love to cycle the tank quickly, but very thoroughly and well, so I'm very open to suggestions.
Hello and welcome .

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome.jpg

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

For a fast but thorough cycle, I’d suggest Fritz Turbo Start 900 (see the quote below).
Thank you for suggesting the Fritz Turbo Start 900.
I read the article, then googled more, and finally bought it. We finally got everything hooked up, fixed one leak and today I got to start cycling the tank! Finally!
I need to go update my build thread.

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Sorry for your losses along your journey.

CONGRATULATIONS on already starting your build thread! WAHOO!!

This might help you find people local to you, in Carolinas:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thank you for these links. This article is fantastic! There is so much in it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back