Hello from Southern California

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

My name is Jordan and I just moved back home to Southern California. I am a recent college graduate from The College of Charleston in South Carolina. In high school I had an all in one 34g bio cube with a MH light. I will try to upload some pictures but please go easy. I had lets say some regrettable stocking choices that were encouraged by my old LFS (currently out of business). Last summer I broke my ankle and found this forum again as I was couch ridden. Lets just say this is now my almost daily habit even though I am fully healed :D. I am excited to be here and learn from so many experienced and bright minds.

I want to start a new tank but this time I want to do it right. I am a political science major and environmental studies minor. I am obsessed with making things run efficiently and sustainably. I want to make this tank environmentally and biologically friendly. Got any tips?

If anyone is in the Orange, San Diego, LA county feel free to introduce yourself and please include your LFS as all the ones I used to frequent closed.

Where is the best place to buy a new tank?

Finally I just want to thank everyone who contributes to this forum with beautiful pictures and knowledge because it really helped me get through a frustrating immobile summer.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the poor quality but most are from an old IPhone.
IMG_0497.jpg
IMG_0536.jpg
IMG_7958.jpg
IMG_0555.jpg
IMG_0579.jpg
IMG_0582.jpg
IMG_2422.jpg
IMG_7956.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jordan, Welcome! Sand Diego Here! Check out Solcalireefs and Sdreefs. You'll also probably start an account at reefers garage :D. They sponsor here as well and are about 30 to 40 min from you. And yea, worth the drive.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jordan, Welcome! Sand Diego Here! Check out Solcalireefs and Sdreefs. You'll also probably start an account at reefers garage :D. They sponsor here as well and are about 30 to 40 min from you. And yea, worth the drive.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Crazy as this sounds but right when you (Saltyfilmfolks) replied here I was reading a thread where you said you where using natural sea water. This is something Im pretty interested in. How has it been working for you? What are some things you have to look out for?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Crazy as this sounds but right when you (Saltyfilmfolks) replied here I was reading a thread where you said you where using natural sea water. This is something Im pretty interested in. How has it been working for you? What are some things you have to look out for?
I have had stupidly good luck with my tanks, even as a newb. Don't know why. I do use mixed salts as my parameters merit.(ie too high nutrient in my tank or lower ca alk mag) IO and Reef crystals, and Red Sea coral Pro.
IMO IME and observation, it has Higher nutrient content Plus plankton, zoo and phyto, and likely wild bacterial strains. possible off shore pollution probs and speculation abound however.
I do notice (my observation from locals and trolling this and other national boards) far less cases of true diatoms (not the temporary new tank ones and I have never had diatoms) and I see fewer fish health problems under normal circumstances, as well as faster easier cycling times. (seems to be in line with Paul B's philosophy on bacteria)
Myself and most other users report no more problems than other salt mix users.
I believe north of here its Catalina water, and in la jolla San diego its Scripps, but Catalina is delivered too. Ive not delved into the catalina filtration method.
Check the Sdreefs, theres a thread on scripps water filtration systems there.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back