Hello! New here from TX with a new build.

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm new here. I did saltwater previously for almost 10 years but never really took the time to learn about coral care. Mainly because all the info was not as readily available like today. My last take was a 6 foot 125 gallon tank but I tore that down 2-3 years ago when I moved and didn't have place for it. Fast forward to today and I am in the process of setting up a 175rr 5 foot tank. 24" deep and 30" high. I will be starting a build thread for this tank.

At the moment I am building my Aquascape with Marco Rock. That is in process. I am about half way done with that unless I rip it all apart (again).

In my last tank I had very good luck with not needing to quarantine until one fish I bought from a different LFS than I usually go to came home with Ick and wiped out pretty much the entire tank. I think I had 13 fish at the time. I was heartbroken. With that I will be doing a quarantine tank for every single fish that enters the tank. On the fence about quarantine for corals however I am trying to minimize the amount of pests that come into the tank. Then again since I'm using Marco Rock instead of live rock there are some hitchhikers that I kind of want to get for free.

For the Aquascape I'm trying to go with sort of a NSA style but with lots of caves and places for the fish to call home. I do like the free floating type of Aquascape with lots of sand surface exposed but if that fails I will at least have lots of arches and minimal contact points for the rocks touching the substrate. I would love to see any of ya'lls best aquaecapes or favorites that you've seen.

I look forward to chatting with and learning from all you reefers.

This is my previous tank:
208389875_10159656826833217_7470292012459815944_n.jpg

1476440_10152121044028217_1373227219_n.jpg

This is my current Aquascape that I am working on: NOT DONE SO BE GENTLE but very open to suggestions.
I plan on adding more height, I'm thinking to go about 20-24" at the highest point since the tank is 30". I may get into some SPS way later down the line but I'm not sure how much space they will need above the rock. Also the formation on the left will get get more added to it on the right sort of arm/overhang and be partially in front of the formation on the right or sort of slightly entangle with it. Then add some more branches to put different frags and what not. I will also be letting my kids (5 and 9) build their own smaller rock formations in front to place low light corals like zoas or mushrooms.
tempImageU44KT9.png
tempImage8e24nQ.png

tempImageREHlYQ.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
ROMN8R

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and Welcome to R2R! I thought about placing my rocks like yours but ended up putting them together with a tunnel down the middle. If the fish get spooked then they all go inside. They do have plenty of room to hide!
Yes I may tear this down again depends on how it ends up looking. Its hard to make it tall and long. I really like the look of the very long almost impossible look, but going taller kinda ruins that. Eventually I would like it to have a decent amount fish 15-20 pending species and about half of them being tangs so I need a lot of open space as well as hideouts for the. We shall see! thanks for the reply

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
welcome-5.gif

You should also consider starting a Tank Thread so we can keep track of your build and watch it grow and change. You would also get a cool Tank Thread badge under your name!

The scape looks good, I would consider making some areas for your fish to hide/sleep in. Can easily be done with some small caves.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back