Hello new to reefing

cablez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am in the process of setting up my first reef, 20 gallon long aquarium. I plan to use one of the "black box" lights but i cannot mount it in a traditional way. The tank sits on my dinning room buffet so there is no way to drill any mounts into that, without causing a major domestic disturbance lol. Would i be able to epoxy a 1x3 to the back of my aquarium to use as the arm for my unit? Or would it be too much pressure on the glass?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome to R2R and to the salt water world. I would not try to affix anything to the tank itself. Is hanging from the ceiling or the wall a domestic option? If not, you could build some type of stand that the feet would either rest on the tank rim or actually rest on the buffet itself, and the light could be hung/suspended from that over the tank. Much safer than messing with the tank itself, at least in my opinion.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
tenor.gif
#WelcometoR2R
I definitely wouldn't do that, it may be to much stress for the glass. Hanging from ceiling would be best option. Otherwise you can get stands from hardware stores and make something :)

OP
OP
cablez

cablez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! mainly i was thinking since the units are only roughly 6 lbs each i can epoxy the back arm to the plastic rim on the top and bottom of the aquarium. And as mentions the unit is only 6-7 lbs and wouldnt only need to "cantilever" about 5-6 inches to be direct center of the aquarium, being that its a 20L 30X12X12. The photo i provided the guy used 1x3 which are not very sturdy at all and it holds the weight on his extension which leads me to think there isn't much pressure

led mount.jpg

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, thats not the case at all, I am quite worried but 6 lbs is less weight pulling on the glass than a traditional HOB filter filled with water was my thinking
The weight of most job is less than six pounds since not many hold 3/4 of a gallon of water. The weight of the hob also rests on top of the rim, pushing down on the glass more than pushing/pulling the glass. I suspect affixing the light stand to plastic would cause it to crack, especially if you bumped it during tank maintenance.

The picture you posted, are those stands affixed to the glass or the stand? Most affix to the stand, ime.

I would go with a tried method of hanging the lights, I imagine 20g of saltwater over said buffet would also not result in marital bliss..

OP
OP
cablez

cablez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I think i can take said piece of wood, screw it to a base piece of wood then clamp it down in the back of the buffet using wood workers soft clamps, the ratcheting ones. I feel that will hold the unit and brace from tipping. Especially with 2 clamps. Any thoughts?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Find a stud in the wall and make some sort of contraption for the lights is my vote ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back