Hello, New to the Hobby

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am new to the Hobby. I have a 32 gallon biocube with chemippure and purigen filtration. I have live sand and live rock. The tank is 4 months old.

I have 2 clown fish, a coral beauty,a sandsifter star fish, and corals. Will attach picture. I am dedicated to trying to make it in the hobby and to provide a nice home for the members of my tank. I need help and a community to talk to. My first question is My brain coral has been in the tank for a month and never opens.It seems fine. I have never seen tentacles. I have posted a picture. Does it look ok? It looks exacly like it looked when I brought it.

Also what do you think about poly fiber filtration? The one that changes color according to what agent it removes.

Last question is Kent Marine Microvert and Zooplanktos-M by Brightwell Aquatics sufficient coral food?

Please let me know what you think about my tank so far.

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

Last edited:

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R - your going to love the hobby and R2R. I've owned a couple of brains over the years and that one looks perfectly fine. LPS don't often put out tentacles in the daytime and that brain will have rather short ones around small oral disks when it does. With respect to feeding, small suspended particulate food such as the Kent or Brightwell products are fine. Might checkout the RedSea reef energy stuff and or ReefRoids as well. However, if your not testing for N03 and P04 you might be causing a problem when feeding. So if that were my tank I would test and do so often. With respect to the PolyFilter stuff I would skip all of that and purchase a media reactor, some quality carbon and some GFO. Media reactors are efficient, tried and true. I've been using one of these reactors for many years (as do many, many reefers) and think they work great.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-dual-reactor.html

If you run into a jam just ask - there are a great deal of very knowledgeable and experienced reefers here who are more than willing to help out.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back