Hello R2R

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I've been into fishing since I was a kid, using bread, worms ,and lures to catch everything from sunfish to bass to catfish... sorry, wrong forum...

So I've also been into fishkeeping throughout my life, though only freshwater up until this point. My first tank as a kid was a 10 gallon goldfish tank back in the 80s, when we were poorly advised on how to keep goldfish. In hindsight, I had far too many goldfish in a waaay too small of a tank. Yeah... they didn't last too long. In the 90s, I kept a small tropical community tank for years. Then college and my 20s happened and I took advantage of the freedom to finally keep other pets. I eventually got back into fishkeeping with a 29 gallon freshwater community planted tank, which was a blast. I even got my then-girlfriend/fiance into it. We reluctantly tore that tank down and gave the fish, shrimp, and plants away when we moved to our current home and haven't had a tank since.

I've wanted a saltwater tank since my teen years, but knew I didn't have the time to make it happen and never could bring myself to spend the money on it. But a couple years ago, with my wife's approval (extremely important!), I started to finally make this dream happen. Starting two years ago, I started to slowly buy parts for our tank build, picking stuff up during big sales. Nearly everything for our tank was picked up for about 15-20% off regular everyday prices, if not more.

Two years gave me a lot of time to do a lot of homework, and I can't tell everyone here how much R2R has already helped. Thank you!

Our 90 gallon tank is sitting on a DIY stand and canopy that took nearly 2 months and about $400 to build. The tank is a Aqueon MegaFlow plumbed with Herbie method, going into a Trigger Systems Sapphire 34 sump where we're running a Bubble Magus Curve 5. Water is returned to the tank with an Eheim 1260 and we have an Octo Pulse 2 Wave Pump in the DT. We're running two Viparspectra 165W LED lamps over the tank.

Our tank has been running for about a month now. The cycle has been complete for a couple weeks and we just started the diatom bloom the other day. Still no inhabitants. We're about a week or two away from adding our first snails and we're about to get our 20 gallon QT running for our first fish. We're months away from adding our first coral, but already decided this tank will be primarily softies and LPS.

Thank you again for all the help so far and looking forward to many years of reefing to come!

IMG-5735.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back