Help 4FordFamily build a wall tank...

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by 4FordFamily, Feb 23, 2018.

1. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Wife greenlighted it! Now I need to find some connections to do this within a budget she will approve. This will be a FOWLR.

I’m thinking 120x30x30.

I’ve decided on a basement wall with my unfinished storage behind it. I want an 10 foot tank. I would consider other ten foot sizes, such as 120x24x30, 120x30x36, 120x24x36 even 120x30x36for ease of access and relatively small footprint but plenty of room for large tangs, angels, and wrasse (surprise, right?).

Anyway, I was really not expecting the OK.

@HotRockTarBaby volunteered (foolishly) to help me build stand and do the work in the wall. I can and will source a large ASM skimmer and large heaters and wave makers... I have three AI Hydra 26HD, I’m going to buy two more to light this tank (another reason the 24x24 is attractive, more wouldn’t work).

So now I need an inexpensive used 10 foot acrylic tank. Not common, and very specific. I’m open to a bit more height, but not much as I want it to be easy to work on. I need probably a 75 gal sump or better as well.

Any of your local clubs or anyone you know have something like this? For an absolute steal I’d drive quite a ways — I’m in Indianapolis, Indiana area.

Especially after my tragedy Feb 2017 where I killed off two full 6 foot tanks full of angels and wrasse (power outage while on vacation and my fishsitted, my father, dropped the ball bad). One tank, was a vibrant reer. Anyway, afterwards I really lost my steam and sold all but my 180 reef “tang” tank... this will be glorious... with the right connections!

Give me some love, #reefsquad? :D

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Tags:

2. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Awesome news! Happy for you sir!

3. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Moderator With Training Wheels Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

No idea on the tank but I'll make a weekend of it if you want me to come down and help with construction. I'm pretty handy at demolishing stuff :)

4. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Jason...this is going to be awesome. You're going to owe that bride of yours big time.

5. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Oh this is going to be good to see come together

6. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman Man of Many Caves R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Love long, thin tanks. Congratulations!

7. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

This is going to be EPIC ! ! !

Can't wait to see this come together :)

8. Pelagic One

Pelagic One Active Member R2R Supporter

Heck, I’d even toy with the thought of flying out there to help with whatever, just to learn from you both and to put a ten-foot tank on my “helped out” resume.

But I’ll definitely put out feelers for a tank that size. (10’ x 24” x 24”)

Big G, WWIII, jsker and 4 others like this.
  9. AnakinReefWalker

AnakinReefWalker Active Member

Following! I'm excited to see what you're going to put in the tank (fish-wise) I know you love wrasses and tangs, this is going to be great

10. C-Reefer

C-Reefer Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Following! This build will be incredible!

11. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Heck yeah, that’s up to you I am always about help, this is NOT my expertise, hahaha!

Oh yeah, my wife is the best. She gave me an ich and I am taking a mile. She’s the cheapest woman on earth though so I have to wait for steals — but all I needed was a yes!

Haha yeah I’ll actually make and update a build thread.. although with my patience it’ll be a week once I have everything...

You’re nuts, but that’s my kind of nuts! No one here feel any obligation to help me in any way, but fish/coral nerds are in good company here, always! :)

12. domination2580

domination2580 Reef-a-nator

I would be all for helping you out brother! If only I lived closer!
    If you wasn't any ideas or someone to chat to about different ideas, give me a call brother.

13. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

OOH this is going to be interesting ! What are your plans for fish?

14. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Well If you were closer I would help I have just about every tool that can be had lol but you live a little to far

15. 4FordFamily

Emperor angel, queen angel, French angel, Moorish Idols, Blueface angel, Passer angel, Ocean surgeonfish, Caribbean Blue tang, dussumeri tang, Blonde Naso Tang, achilles, Powder Blue, powder brown, and Sohal tangs. A puffer or two, a black volition lionfish, a trigger or two (toying hard with the clown trigger but I know the risks), Hawaiian Male banana wrasse, large red coris wrasse, Australian harlequin tusk, some other more aggressive wrasse and who knows what else.

On an unrelated note, it’s become apparent to me that I need to make a lot of money, quickly! :D

I may have to say no on the clown trigger after reading — large idols will be a target, even in a large tank. Idols take prescendent.

I’m also taking suggestions!

kireek, GatorScott, Big G and 10 others like this.
  16. easternreefer

easternreefer Well-Known Member ETRC Member Build Thread Contributor

and I sit here trying to convince the wife we need a 8 foot in wall fowlr for the puffer she wants... Jealous!

17. 4FordFamily

Make it her idea — I got lucky, my wife got a text from a co-worker that her boss had a huge 8 foot tank to part with that she kept in a divorce. I could snag it for cheap potentially (like $500) but it has no useful equipment at all, and on the wall if put it on 8 feet would look “small”. But since she came to me with it (thank you God for that bone!) it warmed her up to the idea!

Maybe stage something like that, I wasn’t smart enough to do that (Kidding)

18. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Have you considered a unicorn tang? A friend of mine built a new house a few years ago and in doing so he put in a 400 gallon tank. As a house warming gift, I bought him a unicorn. It's about 8 to 10" now and its such a cool fish.

19. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

That's pure awesome! Of course, you'll still need a reef somewhere . . .

I'll keep an ear to the ground for any of the things you're seeking - though CT might be a longish drive, should anything turn up . . .

~Bruce

20. 4FordFamily

I’m probably going to be sacrilegious right now as the forum tang guy, but I don’t really care for them... I don’t dislike them, but they don’t do much for me, either! It’s just a large fish with a massive bio load I’d rather have two more colorful fish. But I know I’m weird I know very few that wouldn’t jump to have one if they had the room!

Draft saved Draft deleted