Help 4FordFamily build a wall tank...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife greenlighted it! Now I need to find some connections to do this within a budget she will approve. This will be a FOWLR.

I’m thinking 120x30x30.

I’ve decided on a basement wall with my unfinished storage behind it. I want an 10 foot tank. I would consider other ten foot sizes, such as 120x24x30, 120x30x36, 120x24x36 even 120x30x36for ease of access and relatively small footprint but plenty of room for large tangs, angels, and wrasse (surprise, right?).

Anyway, I was really not expecting the OK.

@HotRockTarBaby volunteered (foolishly) to help me build stand and do the work in the wall. I can and will source a large ASM skimmer and large heaters and wave makers... I have three AI Hydra 26HD, I’m going to buy two more to light this tank (another reason the 24x24 is attractive, more wouldn’t work).

So now I need an inexpensive used 10 foot acrylic tank. Not common, and very specific. I’m open to a bit more height, but not much as I want it to be easy to work on. I need probably a 75 gal sump or better as well.

Any of your local clubs or anyone you know have something like this? For an absolute steal I’d drive quite a ways — I’m in Indianapolis, Indiana area.

Especially after my tragedy Feb 2017 where I killed off two full 6 foot tanks full of angels and wrasse (power outage while on vacation and my fishsitted, my father, dropped the ball bad). One tank, was a vibrant reer. Anyway, afterwards I really lost my steam and sold all but my 180 reef “tang” tank... this will be glorious... with the right connections!

Give me some love, #reefsquad? :D

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife greenlighted it! We don’t have much money available since we just moved, so I may have to wait to do much, but I’m excited! It’ll be a FOWLR.

I’ve decided on a basement wall with my unfinished storage behind it. I want an 10 foot tank (would like 120x24x24 for ease of access and relatively small footprint but plenty of room for large tangs, angels, and wrasse (surprise, right?).

@HotRockTarBaby volunteered (foolishly) to help me build stand and do the work in the wall. I can and will source a large ASM skimmer and large heaters and wave makers... I have three AI Hydra 26HD, I’m going to buy two more to light this tank (another reason the 24x24 is attractive, more wouldn’t work).

So now I need an inexpensive used 10 foot acrylic tank. Not common, and very specific. I’m open to a bit more height, but not much as I want it to be easy to work on. I need probably a 75 gal sump or better as well.

Any of your local clubs or anyone you know have something like this? For an absolute steal I’d drive quite a ways — I’m in Indianapolis, Indiana area.

No idea on the tank but I'll make a weekend of it if you want me to come down and help with construction. I'm pretty handy at demolishing stuff :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife greenlighted it! We don’t have much money available since we just moved, so I may have to wait to do much, but I’m excited! It’ll be a FOWLR.

I’ve decided on a basement wall with my unfinished storage behind it. I want an 10 foot tank (would like 120x24x24 for ease of access and relatively small footprint but plenty of room for large tangs, angels, and wrasse (surprise, right?).

Love long, thin tanks. Congratulations!

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea on the tank but I'll make a weekend of it if you want me to come down and help with construction. I'm pretty handy at demolishing stuff :)

Heck, I’d even toy with the thought of flying out there to help with whatever, just to learn from you both and to put a ten-foot tank on my “helped out” resume.

But I’ll definitely put out feelers for a tank that size. (10’ x 24” x 24”)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Heck yeah, that’s up to you I am always about help, this is NOT my expertise, hahaha!

Jason...this is going to be awesome. You're going to owe that bride of yours big time.

Oh yeah, my wife is the best. She gave me an ich and I am taking a mile. She’s the cheapest woman on earth though so I have to wait for steals — but all I needed was a yes!

Oh this is going to be good to see come together

Haha yeah I’ll actually make and update a build thread.. although with my patience it’ll be a week once I have everything...

Heck, I’d even toy with the thought of flying out there to help with whatever, just to learn from you both and to put a ten-foot tank on my “helped out” resume.

But I’ll definitely put out feelers for a tank that size. (10’ x 24” x 24”)

You’re nuts, but that’s my kind of nuts! No one here feel any obligation to help me in any way, but fish/coral nerds are in good company here, always! :)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOH this is going to be interesting ! What are your plans for fish?

Emperor angel, queen angel, French angel, Moorish Idols, Blueface angel, Passer angel, Ocean surgeonfish, Caribbean Blue tang, dussumeri tang, Blonde Naso Tang, achilles, Powder Blue, powder brown, and Sohal tangs. A puffer or two, a black volition lionfish, a trigger or two (toying hard with the clown trigger but I know the risks), Hawaiian Male banana wrasse, large red coris wrasse, Australian harlequin tusk, some other more aggressive wrasse and who knows what else.

On an unrelated note, it’s become apparent to me that I need to make a lot of money, quickly! :D

I may have to say no on the clown trigger after reading — large idols will be a target, even in a large tank. Idols take prescendent.

I’m also taking suggestions!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and I sit here trying to convince the wife we need a 8 foot in wall fowlr for the puffer she wants... Jealous!
Make it her idea — I got lucky, my wife got a text from a co-worker that her boss had a huge 8 foot tank to part with that she kept in a divorce. I could snag it for cheap potentially (like $500) but it has no useful equipment at all, and on the wall if put it on 8 feet would look “small”. But since she came to me with it (thank you God for that bone!) it warmed her up to the idea!

Maybe stage something like that, I wasn’t smart enough to do that (Kidding)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I’m also taking suggestions!

Have you considered a unicorn tang? A friend of mine built a new house a few years ago and in doing so he put in a 400 gallon tank. As a house warming gift, I bought him a unicorn. It's about 8 to 10" now and its such a cool fish.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pure awesome! Of course, you'll still need a reef somewhere . . .

I'll keep an ear to the ground for any of the things you're seeking - though CT might be a longish drive, should anything turn up . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a unicorn tang? A friend of mine built a new house a few years ago and in doing so he put in a 400 gallon tank. As a house warming gift, I bought him a unicorn. It's about 8 to 10" now and its such a cool fish.
I’m probably going to be sacrilegious right now as the forum tang guy, but I don’t really care for them... I don’t dislike them, but they don’t do much for me, either! It’s just a large fish with a massive bio load I’d rather have two more colorful fish. But I know I’m weird I know very few that wouldn’t jump to have one if they had the room!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back