Help again

Shadowthestrike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of picking my finish for my 40 gallon tank(deciding on which I’m getting and found research on them)so far a clown a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp with a cleaner are on my left (not adding all at same time)(going to add cleaner and clown first then wait maybe a few months)would a pistol shrimp work with a cleaner ?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp it should be good but the cleaner might become aggressive towards it. Id recommend a pair of clowns instead of a single clown. other fish options you could add include a dwarf angel, a fire goby, a blenny, a wrasse, a royal gramma, chromis and I'm sure there are many more

OP
OP
S

Shadowthestrike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp it should be good but the cleaner might become aggressive towards it. Id recommend a pair of clowns instead of a single clown. other fish options you could add include a dwarf angel, a fire goby, a blenny, a wrasse, a royal gramma, chromis and I'm sure there are many more
would getting a small cleaner help

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have that backwards. Cleaner shrimp are not aggressive, but certain types of pistols can be. The shrimp should be fine together though.
I agree with all the stated options above, but would also suggest Cardinalfish, hawkfish(these aren’t good choices if you get a cleaner shrimp), dart fish, or an orchid dottyback. A royal gramma could eat your cleaner shrimp as well. I would also like to suggest that you get a second clown.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have that backwards. Cleaner shrimp are not aggressive, but certain types of pistols can be. The shrimp should be fine together though.
I agree with all the stated options above, but would also suggest Cardinalfish, hawkfish(these aren’t good choices if you get a cleaner shrimp), dart fish, or an orchid dottyback. A royal gramma could eat your cleaner shrimp as well. I would also like to suggest that you get a second clown.
If cleaner shrimp are not aggressive how come I've heard of cleaner shrimp hunting down other shrimp?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s possible and I just haven’t heard about it, but it’s not common. Are you sure that you aren’t thinking of coral banded shrimp?
I've heard about blood shrimp hunting down red line cleaner's and peppermints several times thats why I didn't put a peppermint in my 30 gallon.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard about blood shrimp hunting down red line cleaner's and peppermints several times thats why I didn't put a peppermint in my 30 gallon.
Oh ok, that makes a lot more sense. I was thinking that you meant skunk cleaner shrimp. You are definitely right about blood shrimp. They shouldn’t be any problem for a pistol shrimp, but you are right about skunks and peppermints with them.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • D/C

Votes: 48 62.3%
  • Both

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 12 15.6%
Back