Help Algae

roferro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys! Needing some help here…

Any thoughts with the light parameters and other things I should do to eliminate that algae?

It is a 25 gallons with a AI Prime light.

Thank you!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys! Needing some help here…

Any thoughts with the light parameters and other things I should do to eliminate that algae?

It is a 25 gallons with a AI Prime light.

Thank you!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Pull it out as best you can and then search R2R for others' experiences. Have you tested water parameters? Have a clean-up crew?

OP
OP
R

roferro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull it out as best you can and then search R2R for others' experiences. Have you tested water parameters? Have a clean-up crew?
Hey thanks for responding, I have been cleaning up with hand for a while now. I know my phosphates are a bit too high and nitrates a bit too low, when I really need it to be the opposite. My clean up crew barely cleans up, they like fighting each other. Tank is kind of old, over a year old, I never had this problem until it popped up out of nowhere

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

read that start to finish, including the example thread, you have a fixed tank by tomorrow. use any other method, you get dinos, cyano and gha in a loop over and over for potentially years, because that's on file in the algae forum using other methods in nanos. that method above cannot be beaten for nano control, hence the outcome of that thread and the outcomes in the example thread that convinced him to act vs hesitate. your tank needs a rip clean.

I predict that no matter how many pages your thread grows with offers, none will be a link showing eight nano reefs fully corrected of their invasion. that matters in planning your tank rehab, consulting what works for others recently vs just in someone's home tank as a single example.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kind of looks like bryopsis which can grow in almost any setting. clean up crew wont really touch it. if you are manually removing have to make sure you get the roots or it comes back. peroxide dip if you can remove the rocks might help or look to possibly reef flux or flux rx for chemical treatment

clean up crew started a fight club it sound like

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kind of looks like bryopsis which can grow in almost any setting. clean up crew wont really touch it. if you are manually removing have to make sure you get the roots or it comes back. peroxide dip if you can remove the rocks might help or look to possibly reef flux or flux rx for chemical treatment

clean up crew started a fight club it sound like
I was thinking the same thing.

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also the "it pooped up out of nowhere" sounds more like bryopsis, can go from 0 to 100 very, very quickly. it can come in on a single frag and one it settles in a spot it is very, very, very, very, very difficult to completely eradicate. I am getting ready to run my 2nd dose of reef flux, the first got about 95% of it but I have a few spots left, really looking forward to getting rid of it

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@roferro

if you're serious about fixing that tank after the read study, we can make a custom run for you here and answer any questions. 99.9% of any question is already handled in that thread above though, important to study it since it's so recent. he closed out his fix about a week ago, it's recent.

the #1 reason you need a rip clean is because killing that much algae within the tank and letting it rot is opposite of a rip clean, and will ruin your tank. you have to get the mass out not just convert it into a million snail waste pellets that fill up the already filled up sandbed. if you add chemicals to the tank, you get the results opposite to what we show.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hardest part in fixing the nano won't be fixing the actual algae you can see, it'll be changing your mindset that permitted it to grow. fixing the tank is the easy part, fixing the keepers mindset is the nearly impossible part but occasionally we meet someone really dedicated, like Humu was, or like these other tank owners:

action on your part is what prevents it and fixes it. it's not about nitrate, phosphate or snails. with just those two threads alone and a complete reversal of allowance vs physical denial of algae, you could be permanently invasion free in that nano and this includes dinos and cyano. it's not possible for those guys above to be invaded, their mindset changed. their action set changed, what they do when they see algae changed.

it's important to keep seeing in pattern there that we required about 48 hours to fix those tanks, not 48 days of crossing fingers and hoping.

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@roferro

if you're serious about fixing that tank after the read study, we can make a custom run for you here and answer any questions. 99.9% of any question is already handled in that thread above though, important to study it since it's so recent. he closed out his fix about a week ago, it's recent.

the #1 reason you need a rip clean is because killing that much algae within the tank and letting it rot is opposite of a rip clean, and will ruin your tank. you have to get the mass out not just convert it into a million snail waste pellets that fill up the already filled up sandbed. if you add chemicals to the tank, you get the results opposite to what we show.
yes I am a little bit of a different story , sorry Brandon , I am leading this fellow astray. I had a 125 with about 150 pound of rock , manual removal was not really an option

I can definitely confirm the dead algae creating quite a mess, so with the smaller tank you are much better off with the rip cleaning. do it all out of the tank that way it is gone

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use clean up crews after the clean condition is earned vs before, if they are to be used at all. I know some turbo snails have helped a lot of algae reefers, and sea slugs too, but among those posts are statements that the CUC didn't work too so I've arrived at only installing those animals if desired in a clean condition tank vs the infested condition. if they happen to prevent growback that's awesome, and if they don't, we have far less mass to work on a second time.

there is also a growing notable trend in the disease forum of adding cuc/getting a fish wipeout due to velvet, I'm factoring that in the offer for tank surgery/won't cause fish disease.

the main thing I'm soapboxing on is for people to be fed up and absolutely command the tank back into shape vs do any form of test, or ID, or any hesitation. nanos can be bootcamped in 24-48 hours and that's the serious mode we like to collect above. mostly this just scares people off with the amount of work they can see is now required, they unsub and keep the algae and soon start over the tank (only to wind right back up here, having reef'd the same way twice over now)

I took cues from Ceasar Milan...to fix dogs he fixes the owners.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back