HELP Ammonia :(

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh goodness. This was almost certainly your problem then. The old used dry rock would have had a lot of dead algae and other things on it, which would start to decompose and create ammonia, which would then quickly overwhelm the low level of bacteria that you had in your lightly stocked tank.

At this point I think the answer is to ride it out with water changes and prime or amquil and bottled bacteria like we talked about, but I feel pretty good that this is the root cause.

OP
OP
eric.20

eric.20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Brett S theres something more at work here.

Bacteria needs a food source as well. I’ve always done the table shrimp cycle but heard that bottle bacteria needs food as well, not sure if there’s something in the bottle for the bacteria to feed on or not. I ghost feed live rock for almost a year while it “cooked” to remove bound up nutrients.

My experience with prime is it doesn’t remove the ammonia but makes it safe for the live stock yet the ammonia is still present for the cycle to continue and not stall. So keep using the prime

Good luck and keep up posted
Matt

but if it makes it safe why are the corals still closed up? or are they dead already?

OP
OP
eric.20

eric.20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh goodness. This was almost certainly your problem then. The old used dry rock would have had a lot of dead algae and other things on it, which would start to decompose and create ammonia, which would then quickly overwhelm the low level of bacteria that you had in your lightly stocked tank.

At this point I think the answer is to ride it out with water changes and prime or amquil and bottled bacteria like we talked about, but I feel pretty good that this is the root cause.

but we used cured live rock from the old tank and then dried new rock. but we put it in the new tank from day one. the dried rock and the cured rock.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but if it makes it safe why are the corals still closed up? or are they dead already?

It’s hard to say. If ammonia really got up to 8.0ppm then that’s enough to kill corals in only a few minutes. And who knows how long they were at that level before you discovered the problem and used something to neutralize it. At the very least the corals would have been seriously injured. And their natural response to injury and stress is to stay closed to try to protect themselves.

At this point it’s really hard to say what shape they’re in. Given what you’ve described and the state your tank is in now, I would give them maybe a 33% change of recovering, but it’s going to take time. All you can do now is keep the water as good as you can and give them time to see which ones, if any of them recover. But it may be days or even a week or two before you see them starting to open again.

OP
OP
eric.20

eric.20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to say. If ammonia really got up to 8.0ppm then that’s enough to kill corals in only a few minutes. And who knows how long they were at that level before you discovered the problem and used something to neutralize it. At the very least the corals would have been seriously injured. And their natural response to injury and stress is to stay closed to try to protect themselves.

At this point it’s really hard to say what shape they’re in. Given what you’ve described and the state your tank is in now, I would give them maybe a 33% change of recovering, but it’s going to take time. All you can do now is keep the water as good as you can and give them time to see which ones, if any of them recover. But it may be days or even a week or two before you see them starting to open again.

they started to close two days ago when ammonia was at 2.0 :(

OP
OP
eric.20

eric.20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question he asked was if you used old used dry rock and you said yes. Is that not the case?

sorry I probably didn't read it right. We used the rocks from our old tank and just new dried rock from the store (white)

OP
OP
eric.20

eric.20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes, and fairly big water changes too. If your ammonia is at 2.0 and you change 50% of the water that should bring it down to 1.0, which is still not good, but better than 2.0

ok thank you so much.. we will try it

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we dont know why to do anymore. its vey frustrating..

At this point, whether we know what caused it or not it would appear that your tank is in the middle of a new cycle, which is producing a lot of ammonia. Since ammonia is toxic for your animals we definitely know what you need to do.

You need to get the cycle to complete as quickly as possible. Adding bottled bacteria will definitely help with that

And while you are waiting for the cycle to complete you need to manage the ammonia. This will be done by doing large frequent water changes and dosing prime or amquel every 24 to 36 hours.

Hopefully it will only be a matter of days before the cycle completes and the ammonia drops back to 0.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should we vacuum the sand or just leave it and do a water change

I would leave it as is. Stirring up the sand could cause more problems. But now that you mention the sand, I’m wondering about that... where did the sand come from? Was that new dry sand or did that get moved from the other tank? If it was moved from the other tank then it’s possible that stuff in the sand got stirred up as it was moved and that caused your problems.

OP
OP
eric.20

eric.20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it as is. Stirring up the sand could cause more problems. But now that you mention the sand, I’m wondering about that... where did the sand come from? Was that new dry sand or did that get moved from the other tank? If it was moved from the other tank then it’s possible that stuff in the sand got stirred up as it was moved and that caused your problems.

we didnt transfer the old sand. we bought new CaribSea Fiji pink Arag-alive! live reef sand

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we didnt transfer the old sand. we bought new CaribSea Fiji pink Arag-alive! live reef sand

Well, that’s good and definitely shouldn’t have caused any problems. Although it still leaves us with out a good explanation of exactly why this happened. :: sigh:: unanswered questions bother me.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you add Prime - it binds the ammonia - it doesnt remove it. So - depending on the test kit you're using - you can still see measurable ammonia after using Prime. Sorry if this was mentioned already.

OP
OP
eric.20

eric.20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that’s good and definitely shouldn’t have caused any problems. Although it still leaves us with out a good explanation of exactly why this happened. :: sigh:: unanswered questions bother me.

maybe it was really the sock and we removed to many bacteria with washing it..

OP
OP
eric.20

eric.20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add Prime - it binds the ammonia - it doesnt remove it. So - depending on the test kit you're using - you can still see measurable ammonia after using Prime. Sorry if this was mentioned already.

yes but I'm just wondering why the corals are not doing well if with using prime ammonia should be "safe"

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back