Help Anemone take over!!!!

Zackmoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 7 months ago I started with one golf ball sized anemone, that has now split into about 13. The local fish store said that they would buy them from me, but I can’t seem to get them off. Any ideas how to get them off. Or am I stuck with them. It is getting hard to clean and get rid of all the aptasia the tank cause everyone I stick my arm in they all wrap my whole arm up.

Any and all help appreciated.

88301384303d7f6222b9b809084dfe2f.jpg
816470aacf37ea1af0564d0bf062631b.jpg

OP
OP
Zackmoo

Zackmoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I posted this in the wrong place. I’m goin to delete and re post. I have tried all that with no luck

OP
OP
Zackmoo

Zackmoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I don’t know how to delete this thread with Tapatalk

jace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 7 months ago I started with one golf ball sized anemone, that has now split into about 13. The local fish store said that they would buy them from me, but I can’t seem to get them off. Any ideas how to get them off. Or am I stuck with them. It is getting hard to clean and get rid of all the aptasia the tank cause everyone I stick my arm in they all wrap my whole arm up.

Any and all help appreciated.

88301384303d7f6222b9b809084dfe2f.jpg
816470aacf37ea1af0564d0bf062631b.jpg
That is a good problem...to remove find an edge that is not adhered too tightly and carefully and lightly pull it away from rock...do not force it. This will take time and alot of patience. U can use a butter knife or something with smooth but not sharp surface...its best if u remove it and place in a shallow container with tank water and sit down somewhere to do this cuz it may take some time. If anemone is adhered tightly all around you can get a coral cutter and chip away a small corner of rock where base is but don't cut into anemone. This will free a corner of anemone to try to pull it off. Or an easy way is break the rock. Good luck.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I don’t know how to delete this thread with Tapatalk

I dont believe us regular users have the ability to delete posts regardless of what mechanism you're using to access the site.

Now to the nem's, if you've already tried a power head you can take out one of the rocks they are attached to and hold it upside down over a bucket of saltwater. Eventually gravity and being PO'ed about not being in water will cause the anemone to let go. OR put an ice cube in a plastic bag and hold it near (but not directly on) the nem's foot, this should also aggravate it enough to begin to detach. If that doesnt work, sell the rock and anemones to the LFS and buy some new rock.

OP
OP
Zackmoo

Zackmoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good problem...to remove find an edge that is not adhered too tightly and carefully and lightly pull it away from rock...do not force it. This will take time and alot of patience. U can use a butter knife or something with smooth but not sharp surface...its best if u remove it and place in a shallow container with tank water and sit down somewhere to do this cuz it may take some time. If anemone is adhered tightly all around you can get a coral cutter and chip away a small corner of rock where base is but don't cut into anemone. This will free a corner of anemone to try to pull it off. Or an easy way is break the rock. Good luck.

That’s a good idea to move it to a smaller tank to work at it. I would not have done this. Keep my arms from dying when I try and pull them out. Thanks

OP
OP
Zackmoo

Zackmoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe us regular users have the ability to delete posts regardless of what mechanism you're using to access the site.

Now to the nem's, if you've already tried a power head you can take out one of the rocks they are attached to and hold it upside down over a bucket of saltwater. Eventually gravity and being PO'ed about not being in water will cause the anemone to let go. OR put an ice cube in a plastic bag and hold it near (but not directly on) the nem's foot, this should also aggravate it enough to begin to detach. If that doesnt work, sell the rock and anemones to the LFS and buy some new rock.

I have not tried the gravity thing. I have tried the ice cube thing though, I had a little luck. But my arms got tired from holding an ice cube in the tank for 45 mins haha

cincyfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hold it upside down over a bucket of saltwater. Eventually gravity and being PO'ed about not being in water will cause the anemone to let go

I've done this with success. I had about 25% of him in the water and just left the rock sitting across a bigger Tupperware. Took him about 15-20 minutes to pop off the rock. I've tried the ice thing and it worked on the one edge i could get well with the ice but due to the rock shape I wasn't able to get all the way around.

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There pretty big how long have you it and what do you feed yours

OP
OP
Zackmoo

Zackmoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this with success. I had about 25% of him in the water and just left the rock sitting across a bigger Tupperware. Took him about 15-20 minutes to pop off the rock. I've tried the ice thing and it worked on the one edge i could get well with the ice but due to the rock shape I wasn't able to get all the way around.

There is a couple on the top, close to the rim. When I do water changes they are almost all the way out of the water. They start to sag but I have never noticed them letting go.

OP
OP
Zackmoo

Zackmoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There pretty big how long have you it and what do you feed yours

I believe the really big one is the one I started with. So around 7 months. But the smaller ones vary it’s hard to keep track of that many. I started off giving the original one just a squirt of. Mysis shrimp. But that turned into I can’t feed enough because the anemones take about half of the food that I put in.

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy and I guess that they do there huge you could probably feed it regular shrimp now and it would really grow

cincyfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t very clear in my first post. When I had it out it was hanging from its foot and just some of the head was in the water.

OP
OP
Zackmoo

Zackmoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After feeding. The three huge ones on my leather coral are so heavy the coral started to sag down.

e58be285d033bc23eb76828e9c2446f9.jpg

patfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhh I have been wanting my single nem to start splitting. I’m jealous of this haha

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 49 43.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 53 46.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back