Help! Apex EB832 power bar clicking rapidly

SaltyDadDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first, I am currently deployed so my wife (god bless her) is the one having to do the trouble shooting over facetime with me.

OK, so we had the power flicker on and off the other night at the house. Come to find out, the EB832 decided that it didnt want to supply power to my two heaters anytmore (weird it chose those two). I reset the Apex, that did nothing. I tried updating the EB832 software, no success there. I then had her unplug the power from the wall and let it sit for about 10 mins. Upon pluggging it back in, it decided that it was going to rapidly click the power on and off to everything. So in other words, nothing is working (lovely). I had her plug in everything into a power strip but now my Trident is acting funny. Can you somehow plug the apex and trident into the wall without the EB832?

Any help is greatly appriciated. i did submit a ticket to Neptune and tried to call but they are closed on weekends (go figure).

Thx in adavance!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex can be powered by any other connected AquaBus module that has its own external power adapter, such as the 1Link, FMM, DOS, etc.

If none of your other modules have a power adapter, then you can buy the Apex Aux power adapter:

OP
OP
SaltyDadDog

SaltyDadDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the issue I am having. It seems my trident has started working but im unsure what this is.

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like apex programming shutting the outlet on/off. Do you have any advanced programming config that could be doing it? Like a heater outlet set to turn on/off when the tank temp is a certain temp? Are you able to access Fusion? If so go set all your outlets to off instead of auto and see if it stops. I had something similar where my leak detector was flipping open/closed rapidly and cycling my skimmer on/off. If it's not that, probably a failed eb832.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I somehow missed this thread, but the issue is clearly the 12v PSU inside the EB832. It is discussed in details here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/another-attempt-at-fixing-apex-eb832.804717/

And here:

Starting at 0:03 of your video one can clearly see a red light flashing under the orange bezel of the top outlet.
The red light is coming from a failing 12v power supply inside the unit. It is no longer able to provide enough power to switch the relays and shuts off. Without a full load it attempts to restart only to shut off again under the load of 8 relays.

This is an electrical failure. If your unit is still under warranty, get Neptune to have it repaired. Otherwise, I can also do an upgrade to make sure this doesn't happen in the future.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I somehow missed this thread, but the issue is clearly the 12v PSU inside the EB832. It is discussed in details here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/another-attempt-at-fixing-apex-eb832.804717/

And here:

Starting at 0:03 of your video one can clearly see a red light flashing under the orange bezel of the top outlet.
The red light is coming from a failing 12v power supply inside the unit. It is no longer able to provide enough power to switch the relays and shuts off. Without a full load it attempts to restart only to shut off again under the load of 8 relays.

This is an electrical failure. If your unit is still under warranty, get Neptune to have it repaired. Otherwise, I can also do an upgrade to make sure this doesn't happen in the future.

Not trying to hijack a thread but is it true that in newer eb832 units they started using a better/more reliable12v power supply. I'm only curious because if it's not true then I may go ahead and order one to have on hand so that if mine ever fails.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to hijack a thread but is it true that in newer eb832 units they started using a better/more reliable12v power supply. I'm only curious because if it's not true then I may go ahead and order one to have on hand so that if mine ever fails.
Neptune never officially acknowledged the issue nor offered a solution to the problem. From anecdotal encounters it appears that some of the newest EB832s with a UL sticker on the back may have a higher quality meanwell 12v PSU inside instead.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune never officially acknowledged the issue nor offered a solution to the problem. From anecdotal encounters it appears that some of the newest EB832s with a UL sticker on the back may have a higher quality meanwell 12v PSU inside instead.
I knew they hadn't officially admitted that their eb832 had a inferior psu but I though I had remembered reading they did eventually start using one that was better made, even if they didn't come out and say it.
I skimmed through your posted link and I see you seem to just recommend replacing the caps. I will just order those to keep on hand so if mine fails I can have it back up and running quickly. Mine is a relatively new apex so I'm hoping I won't have any issues, but it's always best to plan for the worst.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew they hadn't officially admitted that their eb832 had a inferior psu but I though I had remembered reading they did eventually start using one that was better made, even if they didn't come out and say it.
I skimmed through your posted link and I see you seem to just recommend replacing the caps. I will just order those to keep on hand so if mine fails I can have it back up and running quickly. Mine is a relatively new apex so I'm hoping I won't have any issues, but it's always best to plan for the worst.
Yes, I'd say that replacing caps is going to be cheaper than buying a new backup unit.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back