HELP!! Brown Jelly Disease!!!!

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some terrible news. Anyone whose been following my recent thread would know about a slowly receding wall hammer coral that I have. I was told it was stressed. Well, I did the old turkey baster test for BJD, and had the most unfortunate sight that a reefer could see. A bunch of brown jelly under some shrunken polyps. I feel sick to my stomach right now with anxiety. I don’t even know what to do. How can I stop this?? I’ve been doing everything to avoid this, yet it’s withering away... WHAT DO I DO?!
If I can ask what is the turkey baster test for a brown jelly disease?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched the video. Besides the "hammer" looking a bit more like a frogspawn (or maybe even a hybrid), it seems like a pretty helpful solution!

I do have a question though: at what point can a euphyllia no longer be "saved"? In other words, when I take a turkey baster and put a little suction above the coral, a bunch of polyps get ripped right off. That does NOT seem normal.... Is this tissue dead or just dying? Or is the tissue really that delicate?

Also, what is the best magnesium dosing kit? Red Sea? Polyp Lab?

Last edited:

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched the video. Besides the "hammer" looking a bit more like a frogspawn (or maybe even a hybrid), it seems like a pretty helpful solution!

I do have a question though: at what point can a euphyllia no longer be "saved"? In other words, when I take a turkey baster and put a little suction above the coral, a bunch of polyps get ripped right off. That does NOT seem normal.... Is this tissue dead or just dying? Or is the tissue really that delicate?

Also, what is the best magnesium dosing kit? Red Sea? Polyp Lab?
I would say it may be polyp bailout if the tentacles are falling off the stony base. It is probably white I assume. I never had luck bringing these back, but I also always had low magnesium levels before I watched the video. I plan on getting some hammers today, hopefully I can keep the ones I get today alive for a long time. My magnesium is around 1480.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How might I go about doing that? Is there a specific product to use to raise mag?
So I use this, about a spoonful in a cup of rodi water raised my MAG roughly 80-100ppm in a 200 gallon system.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210226-090205_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210226-090205_Chrome.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap, I just remembered something that might be of importance. About two weeks ago, I stopped running carbon in my reef because it was causing HLLE. Do you think it would be wise to bring it back??

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap, I just remembered something that might be of importance. About two weeks ago, I stopped running carbon in my reef because it was causing HLLE. Do you think it would be wise to bring it back??
If you have leathers I would. You can always just use half as much carbon as you were before possibly... If you have leathers nearby maybe move the hammer to a shaded area on the sandbed.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have leathers I would. You can always just use half as much carbon as you were before possibly... If you have leathers nearby maybe move the hammer to a shaded area on the sandbed.
Just curious--What do leathers have to do with it? Is it when they shed or something?? I did see a web of white film around the hammer last night, though could not find any vermatids. There is a leather about seven inches to the left of the hammer and another about six inches above.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious--What do leathers have to do with it? Is it when they shed or something?? I did see a web of white film around the hammer last night, though could not find any vermatids. There is a leather about seven inches to the left of the hammer and another about six inches above.
Apparently leathers secrete a toxin when they sense corals close by, I'm not 100% on this though. Also carbon helps remove this toxin so maybe you should just add carbon. I also wanted to say that it's kind of interesting you have the hammer near the leather and take the carbon out, now the hammer is doing bad. Could be the carbon was helping with the issue before.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently leathers secrete a toxin when they sense corals close by, I'm not 100% on this though. Also carbon helps remove this toxin so maybe you should just add carbon. I also wanted to say that it's kind of interesting you have the hammer near the leather and take the carbon out, now the hammer is doing bad. Could be the carbon was helping with the issue before.
Perhaps....I'd say it's worth a shot to bring the carbon back...

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I go about keeping it from spreading to other corals (especially my torch)? I'm really P.O.'d about this because it's kinda my most expensive piece in the tank. ;Dead

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any Iodine on hand but would Hydrogen Peroxide be of help??
I use HP for algae usually, but not alot of it. Also I would say that hammer looks fine, it may be from the light on the corner of it there. Hard to tell. I wouldn't dose anything you can't test for tho.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll just keep an eye on it. I’m going to talk to the LFS I bought it from for advise. Hopefully I can save this coral, and hopefully not lose others.
I think as long as the rest of it doesn't go to heck I'd say just nudge that side a little closer to the rockwork so it's out of the light more and lower flow on that corner.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back