Help! Cardinal fish popeye? Flukes?

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i noticed this morning that overnight my male cardinal (that i think is carrying fry, i am not sure tho, what do you think?) Has one eye injured, puffed up and cloudy. Its important to add that only his left eye is affected. Also, the female seems to be injured slightly on the right side further down her body and my molly (yes molly, i was desperate when waiting for other fish), that i think was the culprit maybe, has its tailfin damaged. I can also add that all my other fish look normal. The photos are not the best sorry. It seems like an injury because you can see in the 2nd picture that the puffed up part of the eye is not perfectly round.
IMG20230325194229.jpg
IMG20230325193936.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, i noticed this morning that overnight my male cardinal (that i think is carrying fry, i am not sure tho, what do you think?) Has one eye injured, puffed up and cloudy. Its important to add that only his left eye is affected. Also, the female seems to be injured slightly on the right side further down her body and my molly (yes molly, i was desperate when waiting for other fish), that i think was the culprit maybe, has its tailfin damaged. I can also add that all my other fish look normal. The photos are not the best sorry. It seems like an injury because you can see in the 2nd picture that the puffed up part of the eye is not perfectly round.
IMG20230325194229.jpg
IMG20230325193936.jpg
Molly ? The eye is likely stemmed from an injury or scratch and while at times may heal on it own, Carrying eggs if it is the case (hard to tell from pics), is important this fish stays healthy and is not moved to quarantine, at least at this time. Your option is to use reef safe Ruby Rally pro which should address this as it has potential to heal on its own, But I happen to have a one eye Banggai because I chose to let it heal on its own.

OP
OP
Qwarex

Qwarex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Molly ? The eye is likely stemmed from an injury or scratch and while at times may heal on it own, Carrying eggs if it is the case (hard to tell from pics), is important this fish stays healthy and is not moved to quarantine, at least at this time. Your option is to use reef safe Ruby Rally pro which should address this as it has potential to heal on its own, But I happen to have a one eye Banggai because I chose to let it heal on its own.
Ok thanks, will see if i can get some. Im from europe, may not have all the products from the US. Are there any other chemicals or other options i can use? Reef safe, of course

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok thanks, will see if i can get some. Im from europe, may not have all the products from the US. Are there any other chemicals or other options i can use? Reef safe, of course
for europe, you can use NT Labs acriflavin

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is KanaPlex from seachem good? A store near me has some in stock, unlike the acriflavin :'(
Im surprised to hear that and Kanaplex absolutely will work

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back