Help choosing center light

Amiller295

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am setting up a Waterbox 7225 peninsula (6ft). I plan on putting a Kessil A500 on each end of the tank, and another fixture in the middle. I’m thinking a XR30 pro or a Neptune Sky. Was wondering if anybody has any input on the two, or a different suggestion.

Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 IMO. Much better coverage and diffused lighting.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils, Radions, and Neptune all have different looks. Seems strange to have something different in the middle. Why not another Kessil?

OP
OP
A

Amiller295

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils, Radions, and Neptune all have different looks. Seems strange to have something different in the middle. Why not another Kessil?
Good question! I was wondering if there would be a big contrast in the center. Should I just do two A500s?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question! I was wondering if there would be a big contrast in the center. Should I just do two A500s?
You could put an ap9x in the middle to get better overall coverage.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a SPS tank, the kessils alone won’t be very good coverage. A softy tank will do fine.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about 3 kessils with 2-4 led strips along the side (reefbrite, AI blade, Aquatic life HME, etc.)? That would be my ideal setup.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i believe you'll get a lot of different suggestions. if i had a 6ft tank i'd get an array of LED/T5 bars. if money wasn't a concern i'd get multiple reefi uno pro 2.0's.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really only need 2 a-500s. I have a 3x2 foot tank and 2 360s, and it's more than enough. The 500s are monsters. I would only need one a500.

Also consider how you will deal with the spill over and invest in the proper reflector for them. I am using the 55 degree reflectors on mine, or the light goes everywhere and it's brutal on the eyes.

Good lights though!

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am setting up a Waterbox 7225 peninsula (6ft). I plan on putting a Kessil A500 on each end of the tank, and another fixture in the middle. I’m thinking a XR30 pro or a Neptune Sky. Was wondering if anybody has any input on the two, or a different suggestion.

Thanks!
I would start with the two A500x and if you feel you need more coverage add a third a500x. They have a very wide spread at 130 degrees. Much wider than older Kessil lights. Be careful how much you weigh advice from people recommending T5, especially those that don't own an a500x. There is a strong bias here towards diffuse even lighting. It's the trend in the hobby right now, and it's why T5 is so often recommended. There is nothing wrong with T5 if you like it, but it looks nothing like a Kessil. It's soft, diffuse, and in my opinion looks "dead". I feel Radion looks the same way. It all depends on what you like, but if you like Kessil you aren't going to like T5.

I started with T5 over a decade ago and despised it from the beginning. It's soft, lights everything with no natural shadows, and to me looks "blah". It's the grocery store lighting of aquariums. I switched to metal halide, which I loved. It sparkles and shimmers like the sun. Reminds me of diving a reef mid day. Now I have a Kessil a500x and it comes the closest to MH. No other light looks alive to my eyes other than Kessil and MH. If I had to choose an LED panel, I would go with the Reefi uno 2 pro. It's stronger than the XR30 by a large margin, has a better shimmer, and is half the price. With the Reefi out there, you're only buying a radion for it's name. But I would personally stick with kessil.

All that said, if you like Kessil, stick with Kessil. Nothing else will give you that shimmer other than metal halide. T5 is the farthest away you'll get from shimmer. The a500x is a beast of a light. Two will probably do you just fine, and you can always add a third later if you need it.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about 3 kessils with 2-4 led strips along the side (reefbrite, AI blade, Aquatic life HME, etc.)? That would be my ideal setup.
I just added an orphec bar to supplement my kessil ap9x and personally love it

1705610740375.png
1705610752155.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with the two A500x and if you feel you need more coverage add a third a500x. They have a very wide spread at 130 degrees. Much wider than older Kessil lights. Be careful how much you weigh advice from people recommending T5, especially those that don't own an a500x. There is a strong bias here towards diffuse even lighting. It's the trend in the hobby right now, and it's why T5 is so often recommended. There is nothing wrong with T5 if you like it, but it looks nothing like a Kessil. It's soft, diffuse, and in my opinion looks "dead". I feel Radion looks the same way. It all depends on what you like, but if you like Kessil you aren't going to like T5.

I started with T5 over a decade ago and despised it from the beginning. It's soft, lights everything with no natural shadows, and to me looks "blah". It's the grocery store lighting of aquariums. I switched to metal halide, which I loved. It sparkles and shimmers like the sun. Reminds me of diving a reef mid day. Now I have a Kessil a500x and it comes the closest to MH. No other light looks alive to my eyes other than Kessil and MH. If I had to choose an LED panel, I would go with the Reefi uno 2 pro. It's stronger than the XR30 by a large margin, has a better shimmer, and is half the price. With the Reefi out there, you're only buying a radion for it's name. But I would personally stick with kessil.

All that said, if you like Kessil, stick with Kessil. Nothing else will give you that shimmer other than metal halide. T5 is the farthest away you'll get from shimmer. The a500x is a beast of a light. Two will probably do you just fine, and you can always add a third later if you need it.

edit: ignore my comment here lol

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me and a 6 foot with a healthy budget I’d be comparing to what I need want the following…

A pair of ATI Strattons

3 kessil 360’s with 2-4 quanta pros flanking.

2-3 kessil 500’s with the flanking quanta’s.

And then, just to make life difficult for myself, 2-3 reefi uno’s substituting the kessils.

OP
OP
A

Amiller295

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input! Apparently I need to look into Reefi. I don’t think they were around when I was reefing 10 years ago…..

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input! Apparently I need to look into Reefi. I don’t think they were around when I was reefing 10 years ago…..
They were not. I just came back to the hobby myself and recently became aware of them. You'll have to see if they give you a look you like. I still went with Kessil because I want that shimmer, but Reefi was definitely my second choice.

OP
OP
A

Amiller295

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Reefis on the ends and an A500 in the center? Would the shimmer spread enough? Or should I just keep with one brand of main lights?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back