Help! Clownfish advice please

ajsud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish is the female of a mated pair we have had for approx three years who recently developed faded patches on her white banding. She hasn't any signs of parasites, isn't scratching on rock / sand, is eating really well and has recently layed eggs. Her mate has no discolouration, both of them are behaving normally I.e. no heavy breathing, no signs of ich or velvet.
She has had these marks for around three months and hasn't gotten any better or worse in that time. Tank inhabitants include two blue/green chromie's and a filefish.
Tank is a newly set up reefer 170 - we transferred half our existing rock from our previous 350 and added new sand. It has recently recovered from diatoms, cyano and GHA (added microbacter 7, increased flow, added more bio balls, two wkly wc's etc.) Any help identifying the cause & how to treat this would be greatly appreciated.

Current readings are:
NO3 0.25ppm
NO2 0
Ammonia 0.02
KH 11.5
PH 8.2
P04 0 (Hanna)
Magnesium 1520 (red sea salt)
Calcium 420
Salinity 1.026

OP
OP
ajsud

ajsud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry

Attachments

• 20220607_132732.jpg
    20220607_132732.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 26

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this

Scroll down to bacterial infection.
No expert. Looks to big for hyper melanization( further down on above link)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much I'll look into it.

I see these sorts of marks here quite often, I don't know what they are. They always show up in the white areas of clownfish. My guess is that they just show through best in that instance.

They look like bruises, but there isn't any reason seen why they would be bruised, and the spots last longer than a bruise would.

In most cases, they don't seem to hurt the fish. In other cases, the fish dies, but since I don't know what causes this, the clown may have died from something else, and these spots were just incidental.

Sorry I couldn't give you a definitive answer!

Jay

OP
OP
ajsud

ajsud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see these sorts of marks here quite often, I don't know what they are. They always show up in the white areas of clownfish. My guess is that they just show through best in that instance.

They look like bruises, but there isn't any reason seen why they would be bruised, and the spots last longer than a bruise would.

In most cases, they don't seem to hurt the fish. In other cases, the fish dies, but since I don't know what causes this, the clown may have died from something else, and these spots were just incidental.

Sorry I couldn't give you a definitive answer!

Jay
Thanks for this. The clown is still alive and we wondered whether one of the chromies was bullying / biting her. Both fish have recently spawned and there seems to be a bit of a territory spat going on. The tank is 170 litres with five fish but plenty of hiding places.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My best guess is secondary bacterial or result of previous injury. Agreeing with Jay, keep am eye on it to assure it does noy develop into anything worse.
Good meds especially with clowns to have on hand is quick cure or Ruby Rally Pro, seachem kanaplex and Maracyn

OP
OP
ajsud

ajsud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess is secondary bacterial or result of previous injury. Agreeing with Jay, keep am eye on it to assure it does noy develop into anything worse.
Good meds especially with clowns to have on hand is quick cure or Ruby Rally Pro, seachem kanaplex and Maracyn
Appreciate your advice. Many thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back