Help Confirm please, Brook with no new additions

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stated above, sanity checking my diagnosis of Brooklynella on a clown. #fishmedic

There have been no fish additions to this tank system for at least 6 months and everything was quarantined.

(Stress event) Catastrophic failure of the main tank 3 weeks ago caused everyone to move into smaller tanks around the house. Last week I noticed scratching and slightly increased breathing on some of the residents of the small tank, started Prazi treatment.

Yesterday notice the male clown not looking quite right. This morning he looks like this.

I've got Formalin on hand, bringing a hospital tank up to temp now.

Unsure how brook could take foothold in an established system after this long..

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
any other fish in tank ?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a similar experience over the past 6 weeks due to the same issues. Pair of Skunk clowns just were ragged looking @ the fins, loss of color, semi high respiration. I feared flukes also (went through it about 6 months ago). Ultimately seemed to be a major stress reaction due to overstocking, I got them back in the large tank and they are improving by the day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I stated above, sanity checking my diagnosis of Brooklynella on a clown. #fishmedic

There have been no fish additions to this tank system for at least 6 months and everything was quarantined.

(Stress event) Catastrophic failure of the main tank 3 weeks ago caused everyone to move into smaller tanks around the house. Last week I noticed scratching and slightly increased breathing on some of the residents of the small tank, started Prazi treatment.

Yesterday notice the male clown not looking quite right. This morning he looks like this.

Can’t see clowns well in video but tell tale signs are:
Rapid respiration
irritation
Loss of appetite
Discoloration around face area
Mucus around gill area

flukes:
Cloudy eyes
Yawning behavior
Scratching against objects

a 5 minute freshwater dip will offer temporary relief and treatment will be formalin based med such as quick cure. If no quick cure, ruby rally pro will work but take longer

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Something is 'not right' there is definitely a mucus difference on the fish (i.e. an irritant). I think this looks similar to Brook - especially given the 'stress'. I would treat for brooklynella - assuming all of your other parameters are perfect. NOTE - Sometimes parameter changes from a tank failure (power, etc) - cause injury - which causes the same mucus issues seen here. @Jay Hemdal? I personally would consider strongly brook.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tough to ID from a video. I don’t see mucus sheets like classic Brook. A skin scrape under a microscope is the go-to diagnostic in these cases.
I would do the 75 ppm formalin dip for 45 minutes with good aeration and see if flukes drop off, and then, does it give the clowns any relief (that might take a day to see).
Jay

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the video this morning, the mucus started literally dripping/sheeting away from the clown

I performed a 1 hour formalin 75 ppm dip then into a hospital tank with 25 ppm.

It looked A Lot better after and still does. Breathing has slowed back to Just Elevated.

The tank it was in had been hit with Prazi 8.24. and again yesterday.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back