Help: Crushed a Torch coral skeleton accidentally

ganreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch coral was nicely settling in. Overzealous about its position in the tank, I wanted to move it slightly higher from the sand. So in attempting to remove the plug base, I held on to the skeleton so tightly that it shattered into 4 pieces vertically. Hurriedly I put glue back on the base and some on the sides to bring it back loosely to its original form.
Is it going to live ? Lights come on in 3 hours. Anything I can do now to save it ? Thanks for the help.

Cu8ano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch coral was nicely settling in. Overzealous about its position in the tank, I wanted to move it slightly higher from the sand. So in attempting to remove the plug base, I held on to the skeleton so tightly that it shattered into 4 pieces vertically. Hurriedly I put glue back on the base and some on the sides to bring it back loosely to its original form.
Is it going to live ? Lights come on in 3 hours. Anything I can do now to save it ? Thanks for the help.
Its a toss up. Gluing it is the best you can do for now. Keep an eye on it because it may get a bacterial infection which will start brown jelly. Or it might just deteriorate. Unfortunately it happens sometimes. I'd highly recommend looking into Kung Fu Corals dip for brown jelly disease. It most definitely works and is something good to have on hand for your euphyllia

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have two hammer corals that have broken heads right now. during the day, you wouldnt know. all of the polyps open normally, but they dont have any damage to the skin, so thats probably why they are fine

OP
OP
G

ganreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it looks like as the light is ramping up. Any hope ?

Attachments

• 5BBBEA5E-9280-4144-BC26-9EEA3DC80AAB.jpeg
    5BBBEA5E-9280-4144-BC26-9EEA3DC80AAB.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0806.MOV
    6.9 MB
OP
OP
G

ganreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help. Hope in a few weeks it can rebuild the skeleton.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im sorry to see this happen, it hurts and happens to all of us at some point so don't beat yourself up over it.

It is in pretty rough shape but depending on how you glued it together there could be a good chance to save it as long as the center wasnt mangled. And as long as your tank is stable and you have no drastic swings.

if you are seriously (I only say serious because its going to take some time and meds) wanting to save the torch you will have to dip it daily so no bad bacteria starts to grow or food gets stuck and promote flesh to start healing again. I've rarely seen a fully crushed skeleton heal on its own in a habbiests tank without treatment.

If you can get these items you can have a chance to save the torch.

4g tank water
Chemi clean blue or red 10 cap fulls
Cipro 1000mg
Lugols iodine 5 full droppers
Brightwells amino acid 10ml
Beightwells restore 10ml
Witch hazel 10ml

In some cases less is required but I've bumped some doses up as this is an extreme case.

You will need to make a bath for the torch daily to stay clean and promote the flesh to grow again.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

OP
OP
G

ganreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Been feeling down after checking chemistries, flow, light and all to care for this coral, I crushed it, literally. Next time I will handle it like a fragile glass than a piece of bone. Anyway, the procedure is elaborate and I will keep it for my notes. Don’t have a spare tank, light or flow to make this work. I will see how it behaves in the next week and make a call.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. Been feeling down after checking chemistries, flow, light and all to care for this coral, I crushed it, literally. Next time I will handle it like a fragile glass than a piece of bone. Anyway, the procedure is elaborate and I will keep it for my notes. Don’t have a spare tank, light or flow to make this work. I will see how it behaves in the next week and make a call.
Ya it's a pretty in-depth bath but it needs no light and dark is actually better for the meds to work.

No heater is used as lower temps keep bacteria from growing.

An airstone or filter sponge is necessary for oxygen.

You can pick up a small 10g tank at petco for 10 bucks next time they have a sale.

I have used the mix in 1 gallon as well. Just use 1/4 of everything.

Leave in mix for 6-12 hours. In a gallon id do 4 hours.

It helps all lps not just torches ;)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it made it 2 weeks, it's likely healing up and you dodged a bullet.

Ljara78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just did exactly the same thing. i have 4 pieces now sitting in a quarantine tank with MELAFIX. hopefully my 4 new corals make it. yesterday, after the disaster, they were still inflated and seemed unaffected. well see today.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back