Help designing 450 gallon

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Im in the process of designing a 450 gallon aquarium with the dimensions of 72"x48"x30". The aquarium will be going in my basement and be in-wall with just the front viewing panel exposed. Because of the huge weight of this size aquairum (empty), it will have to be made of acrylic, as getting a glass tank of this size safely down a stairwell seems like way too much work.

My first question is will it be possible to construct a stand out of wood or will it have to be steel tube? I have a carpenter lined up to build the wall and he has said he would be willing to attempt the stand if I can create a blue print for him. And so, naturally, my next question is would somebody be able to help me design a wood stand using a software program or point me in the direction of how to accomplish this.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can my a wooden stand for a tank this size. I had my 480 and 720 on wooden stands and took them with me to my new house so they can be used again. I do not use under tank sumps though so I can distribute the load from the tank weight with more stand legs. I normally just use 2x4s with some 2x6 or 2x8s mixed on the outside to stiffen the legs. A 3/4" plywood top is used to lock the structure together to prevent the stand from twisting from the weight. I don't have a set of plans or have a program to make prints but the stand legs were setup 16" on center long ways and every 12" the width of the stand.

I am still building the new tank ~400g at the new house but the same stand I used for years with my 480 gallon plywood tank. Stand is 96"L x 48"W x 29.5"T
20210128_213114.jpg

20210211_132940.jpg
20210211_132950.jpg

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input, Alex. I think I will likely go with the 2x4s and plywood top as you suggested. Ive heard 4x4s are a no no for stands. Is a wood stand getting wet ever an issue for its integrity?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked on YouTube for a video to build my stand for my 90. It isn't that difficult. As long as you can read a tape, have a drill and a circular saw I'd recommend doing it yourself. It'll save a bunch of money in the labor of it. I've also never had issues with the wood being wet. Just don't let it sit in a puddle of water because mold will become an issue.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input, Alex. I think I will likely go with the 2x4s and plywood top as you suggested. Ive heard 4x4s are a no no for stands. Is a wood stand getting wet ever an issue for its integrity?

The issue with 4x4s is they are not precise cuts and cannot be easily straighten out if they have a warp or bend. Avoid treated wood as the chemicals they use to treat it are toxic to fish and corals. if its just a little water here and there it should not matter. If you have areas that you expect to get lots of water on I would suggest pond armor which is a reef safe 2 part epoxy that will soak into the wood like stain and protect it from water. Another option I have seen is to use a truck bed liner coating but I have not tried that before and I am not sure if it would be toxic to fish or corals.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most competent carpenters will use sistered 2x4 rather than a 4x4. Takes forever for the latter to properly dry out which is why they are prone to twisting. Wood stand is plenty sturdy for even the largest of tanks. This was mine for a 450.

A50CCCE3-8676-4284-85F6-EDC4BD7B084A.png

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks guys, will definitely go wood.

Another question I have is related to humidity in the fish room/ House. The room surrounding the tank is 10'x10'x7' tall. Main display will be 450 gallon + 150 gallon sump + ~ 100 gallons frag tank/refugium/ quarantine. There is a small window located in the top of the room. How would you tackle humidity in here? I was thinking of painting the whole room with Drylock paint, mounting a humdistat/ exhaust fan on the window, and mounting a small a/c unit on the wall. I think this would be more than enough but do you think this overkill? Ive seen some fish rooms with tarped/plastic wrapped walls and ceilings...... Would this be a good extra measure to take? The main goal is to eliminate the chance of mold developing.

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to make the tank even larger (I know haha) by widening it to 54 inches. At this width would you all suggest adding vertical supports in the middle of the foot print in addition to the perimeter? Tank will be ~504 gallons at this point made of acrylic. Still planning on a wood stand. Was going to follow the DIY guys tutorial on YouTube.

Also, the concrete slab in the basement isn’t perfectly level. Would you all recommend pouring my own base where the tank will be or just shim?

thanks

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back