Help dying Tracker coral

Jess95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tracker (excuse spelling if isn't correct) coral about 2 months ago and was doing great until 4 days ago.
I've noticed my file fish and my no rush idol keep pecking at it and this morning is the worst I've seen it.
A quarter of it has died off gone all boney. I've read that you should cut the boney part off as it won't recover it's tissue?
Anyway I've moved in into a drilled out box to stop the fish getting at it, it's in a low flow area but has to be at the top of the tank but it's in direct light. I gave it reef roids and it slimed but didn't get the pellets.
Is this a good idea? Any other ideas to help stop the rest dying off?
Thanks in advance

20190318_085205.jpg

20190318_085220.jpg

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trachyphyllia and file fish are not a good combination IMHO. I would dip the Trachyphyllia and quarantine it and or remove the file fish.
Lower light and medium flow might help the health of the coral. You are one of the lucky ones to have a Moorish Idol that will even attempt to eat, beautiful fish but I wish collectors would quit taking them from the ocean. They usually do not do well in captivity..
Best of luck..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Add iodine to the coral and you may dab superglue in the bald area without cutting away. Ive had easy success with Moorish idol;. feeding is key so it doesn't nip at your coral(s),
I don't keep filefish for a reason

OP
OP
J

Jess95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I've bought some Iodine, I'll look into getting some glue. Will the dead part spread and kill the good tissue?
This is my 2nd Moorish Idol lost my other to white spot (itch). I had a yellow and black lipstick tang that bred and upset the balance of the tank which resulted in all 3 dying unfortunately. Real shame as I don't they have ever been bred in captivity especially two different lipsticks.
My fish shop guy keeps my fish in quarantine until they eat properly, very delicate fish.
Recently had an outbreak of amatasias so bought them file fish to them to get rid, wish I stook to the chemical stuff now as they've killed my beautiful Lobo.
Thank you for your help and advice

IMG-20190228-WA0012.jpeg

IMG-20181103-WA0002.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dead should not spread. Lights looks bright. Reduce whites a bit and bump up the blues

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back