Help emergency stat

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally had a medium chocolate Tang, medium sailfin, two green chromis, two clowns, neon dottyback, coral beauty, small hippo tang
Your nitrates are especially low for this stock? Is it a 150 gallon plus? Anything to munch up nitrates with heavy feed? Has to be?

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates are especially low for this stock? Is it a 150 gallon plus? Anything to munch up nitrates with heavy feed? Has to be?
There is also general brown algae I think growing. I’m assuming algae as it does not have air bubbles and is not stringy like Dino. Plus snails like eating it but not tangs

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things that kill quickly would be toxins (dino die off possible or sensitivity to added medications), oxygen deprivation (from added medication or die off) and certain diseases like velvet can kill rapidly (but if quarantined properly, less likely). So one question to what I think most likely happened, how much aeration does protein skimming really provide? We are keeping the aeration bubbles in a chamber flowing upwards with minimum microbubbles leaving the chamber. Most skimmers are in a sump not directly attached to the display and still minimum turn over of water and microbubbles. I would venture to guess that more oxygen exchange occurs in the display with powerheads breaking the surface than a skimmer could ever hope to achieve. Anybody measure dissolved oxygen in a tank DISPLAY with the skimmer turned on or off for comparison? So sorry for your loss, it really sucks, but just some thoughts on what may have happened.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things that kill quickly would be toxins (dino die off possible or sensitivity to added medications), oxygen deprivation (from added medication or die off) and certain diseases like velvet can kill rapidly (but if quarantined properly, less likely). So one question to what I think most likely happened, how much aeration does protein skimming really provide? We are keeping the aeration bubbles in a chamber flowing upwards with minimum microbubbles leaving the chamber. Most skimmers are in a sump not directly attached to the display and still minimum turn over of water and microbubbles. I would venture to guess that more oxygen exchange occurs in the display with powerheads breaking the surface than a skimmer could ever hope to achieve. Anybody measure dissolved oxygen in a tank DISPLAY with the skimmer turned on or off for comparison? So sorry for your loss, it really sucks, but just some thoughts on what may have happened.
No this is what I needed. I’m a hard thinker and yes. I agree. A lot
I do have to WAVs aimed at the surface but they shift to night time mode at 2300. Then the skimmer shut off at 0000. Maybe it was a combination of everything all at once. Either way I don’t think I’m going to dose it again but for a last resort.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hard pressed to dose anything in my display. I use about 1 to 2 cups of carbon in a reactor, but only change it out sporadically if I remember, that is the only thing I've dosed other than alkalinity/Calcium supplement. I have some hair algae growing really well in the display now (tank is about 7 months old now), so instead of panicking and adding vibrant, fluconazole, etc. I threw 4 small urchins along with the 10 large trochus snails already in the tank. I skim a little more wet now, and feed a little less. If the algae gets too close for comfort on any corals, well I just scrubbed it away from them like today actually. Nothing good happens fast. So just waiting for things to stabilize. Plus I expect the copepod and phytoplankton populations to take off. Just be careful trying to correct things quickly using chemicals. Work on biodiversity when possible (using clean sources and quarantine) and give time. Drive your tank slowly and enjoy the ride, dont yank on the steering wheel, it'll cause wrecks.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post a current tank pic pls so we can track progression here and spot any unstated details

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back