Help emergency stat

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh I sure have, just from a quick read in the disease forum.

you can get an ammonia cascade after the first two or three, but not prior. The op does quarantine thats good, we can see in post history

cuc and frags are fallowed too? A cycle does not undo, rule out cycling issues in a display. If these fish were in qt when lost that can surely be a cycling issue/ surface area issue

the reason I defaulted to disease is because in reading the first ten pages of the disease forum, stray currents didn’t cause all that
Please stop. You’re confusing things by talking about cycling and QT etc.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately my main concern is if this is still safe to use with what I have learned from this series. Do not let the skimmer stop running and put an air stone in for safety.

or do I try something like vibrant that allows for the use of carbon in conjunction

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand completely when it happened to me I was upset. It took me about 6 months before I was willing to add any fish back to the tank and even then I went incredibly slowly.
Great advice as usual. Gtinnel....yes slowly....side note congrats on your teams appearance in final 4. Wow, awesome. As A guy from Charleston WV, supporting Michigan, you might relate to why does a guy from Ontario Canada ( season tix holder) support WVU football lol?!? Go get the first game in a few weeks....I think they can do it best of luck. Sorry to hijack OP.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately my main concern is if this is still safe to use with what I have learned from this series. Do not let the skimmer stop running and put an air stone in for safety.

or do I try something like vibrant that allows for the use of carbon in conjunction
Vibrant plus carbon is safer. What are you trying to fix exactly?

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice as usual. Gtinnel....yes slowly....side note congrats on your teams appearance in final 4. Wow, awesome. As A guy from Charleston WV, supporting Michigan, you might relate to why does a guy from Ontario Canada ( season tix holder) support WVU football lol?!? Go get the first game in a few weeks....I think they can do it best of luck. Sorry to hijack OP.
Hahaha it’s ok!

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant plus carbon is safer. What are you trying to fix exactly?
With working heavily due to mandation I’ve had some really heavy diatoms in the sand a black stringy gunk which I’m not sure about and other algae all over the rockwork. I’ve been scrubbing and scrubbing and filtering and can’t get a head of it all so I decided to try this to help me beat everything back.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd put the air stone in for certain, maybe a couple,can leave the skimmer....I'd avoid the vibrant.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With working heavily due to mandation I’ve had some really heavy diatoms in the sand a black stringy gunk which I’m not sure about and other algae all over the rockwork. I’ve been scrubbing and scrubbing and filtering and can’t get a head of it all so I decided to try this to help me beat everything back.
I would personally try to increase export through heavy skimming and a turf scrubber. Or phosphate reactor and carbon dosing etc. In my experience chemical or additive treatments are the riskiest.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is not safer, you can read about here:
I should have known better, being lions and all, some fish react more negatively to these tank cleaners.

In your situation, it is obviously to do with the dino x. The skimmer was providing the extra oxygenation needed, and when you shut it off, that's what did it. I would do series of water changes to get it out and bring the ph back to normal, If you test ph, you'll likely see a drop as well, unless it has already bounced back.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re best solution is to simply accept Dinoa for now. They will go away on their own if you follow proactive husbandry tips
Quick chemical fixes usually temporarily solve issues, but they cause other issues which can be worse than the Dino’s. And the original issues will almost always come back.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally try to increase export through heavy skimming and a turf scrubber. Or phosphate reactor and carbon dosing etc. In my experience chemical or additive treatments are the riskiest.
That’s the weird thing, I just tested phos and nitrate and they were 0.02 and 0.25 respectively. My thought was to eliminate the algae and such and then get the nutrients back in line bc they obviously aren’t that low in reality

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have known better, being lions and all, some fish react more negatively to these tank cleaners.

In your situation, it is obviously to do with the dino x. The skimmer was providing the extra oxygenation needed, and when you shut it off, that's what did it. I would do series of water changes to get it out and bring the ph back to normal, If you test ph, you'll likely see a drop as well, unless it has already bounced back.
Thanks good to know.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did see a drop. Not a huge drop as I am running a CO2 scrubber but definitely an abnormal drop that usually does not happen

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emergency

Came home two half of fish dead. Lost a sailfin, coral beauty, hippo tang, two green chromis.

Currently testing water.

Dosed Dino x on Friday. Set up on a dosing pump to dose every other day. Yesterday everyone was fine. Skimmer was running on high test. I backed it down a little this morning. Skimmer had filled up and shut off for about 6 hours before this. I didn’t notice any of the fish this morning but didn’t think anything of it as it was still super early and they aren’t usually up at that time of day yet anyway (0600). Got them going for the morning and came down to see them now and give them dinner and found them dead.
I've used Dino X and it never killed a fish. Are certain you got the dosage correct? You have to know pretty much the exact volume of water in your tank which can be tricky.

It's not kind to inverts with even a slight overdose.

You dosed at night right, not when the lights were on?

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed for
I've used Dino X and it never killed a fish. Are certain you got the dosage correct? You have to know pretty much the exact volume of water in your tank which can be tricky.

It's not kind to inverts with even a slight overdose.

You dosed at night right, not when the lights were on?
I think I did. I saw no invert deaths. I estimated my volume to be 190 gallons with displacement. It’s a 180 tank but there’s only about 160 gallons to the water line. There’s 20 gallons in the sump and then about ten or 20 gallons in the skimmer, plumbing, reactor.
I could not find the displacement calculator so I shot low on the recommended dose. Can always add more but can’t take any back. Maybe I did overdose but it could only be by 5 ml at most?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed for

I think I did. I saw no invert deaths. I estimated my volume to be 190 gallons with displacement. It’s a 180 tank but there’s only about 160 gallons to the water line. There’s 20 gallons in the sump and then about ten or 20 gallons in the skimmer, plumbing, reactor.
I could not find the displacement calculator so I shot low on the recommended dose. Can always add more but can’t take any back. Maybe I did overdose but it could only be by 5 ml at most?
Sounds like you did it right. .

I don't think it was Dino X, but perhaps a lot of Dinos died and dumped at the same time.

I leave the skimmer running without a cup and just let it overflow back into the sump.

You may never know unfortunately.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you did it right. .

I don't think it was Dino X, but perhaps a lot of Dinos died and dumped at the same time.

I leave the skimmer running without a cup and just let it overflow back into the sump.

You may never know unfortunately.
Isn’t the purpose of the skimmer to remove the toxins? So overflowing into the sump would defeat that yes?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t the purpose of the skimmer to remove the toxins? So overflowing into the sump would defeat that yes?
Skimmers remove organics and increase oxygen. Not much effect for toxins.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back