Help emergency stat

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emergency

Came home two half of fish dead. Lost a sailfin, coral beauty, hippo tang, two green chromis.

Currently testing water.

Dosed Dino x on Friday. Set up on a dosing pump to dose every other day. Yesterday everyone was fine. Skimmer was running on high test. I backed it down a little this morning. Skimmer had filled up and shut off for about 6 hours before this. I didn’t notice any of the fish this morning but didn’t think anything of it as it was still super early and they aren’t usually up at that time of day yet anyway (0600). Got them going for the morning and came down to see them now and give them dinner and found them dead.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best thing to do now is accept the losses. We need to prevent future losses. Run activated carbon, make sure that you have surface agitation. Water changes may help.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss. Over a year ago I had a similar event with all of my fish dying within a few hours.
I posted on this forum about it and the answer was basically that it had to be a contamination from outside the tank or a lack of oxygen.
With the skimmer being off I'd suspect it's likely a lack of oxygen. Was the water cloudy?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disease

is this tank fallow and qt prepped

all ammonia testing is now invalid, prime causes misreads and ammonia didn’t start the chain loss, disease. Nobody spends that cash on fish and then puts them into a not cycled tank, ammonia was always ok. There is no time we’d suspect the cycle we’d always default to disease first, above all, we can see in the disease forum something has really changed nowadays.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disease

all ammonia testing is now invalid, prime causes misreads and ammonia didn’t start the chain loss, disease. Nobody spends that cash on fish and then puts them into a not cycled tank, ammonia was always ok. There is no time we’d suspect the cycle we’d always default to disease first, above all, we can see in the disease forum something has really changed nowadays.
Never heard of a disease that kills over night without prior symptoms.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh I sure have, just from a quick read in the disease forum.

whats the first sentence say here? Specifically how long did this poster say it took to wipe out all the fish from disease?

spend some time in the disease forum/helps in causative assessment.

you can get an ammonia cascade after the first two or three, but not prior. The op does quarantine thats good, we can see in post history

cuc and frags are fallowed too? A cycle does not undo, rule out cycling issues in a display. If these fish were in qt when lost that can surely be a cycling issue/ surface area issue

the reason I defaulted to disease is because in reading the first ten pages of the disease forum, stray currents didn’t cause all that

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disease

Dude. Not everything is disease. I think you should first ask for photos and try to get more evidence before you throw out diagnosis’.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 0.8
I think the best thing to do now is accept the losses. We need to prevent future losses. Run activated carbon, make sure that you have surface agitation. Water changes may help.
ROX carbon running now and am making water for a change. I usually keep 60 gallons ready to go but work has been busy so I only had maybe 10 gallons ready when this happened. Or was caught.
What are your opinions on continuing the dosing later on? Using what was learned obviously

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss. Over a year ago I had a similar event with all of my fish dying within a few hours.
I posted on this forum about it and the answer was basically that it had to be a contamination from outside the tank or a lack of oxygen.
With the skimmer being off I'd suspect it's likely a lack of oxygen. Was the water cloudy?
The water did appear to be cloudy. I have upped my aeration game. To the demise of my Ph. But ce la vie.
I closely examined each fish and no signs of disease. Also, the tank was started with dry rock cycled and everything has gone through a 30 day quarantine process. Either by TSM or myself doing hybrid TTM. So I don’t think disease.

another idea that was thrown out there was toxins due to die off of algae that built up bc the skimmer was off for 6 hours and killed.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disease

I'm confused.... fill us in. This is a brand new tank? I don't see it anywhere in the past posts, if I missed one then forgive me...

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water did appear to be cloudy. I have upped my aeration game. To the demise of my Ph. But ce la vie.
I closely examined each fish and no signs of disease. Also, the tank was started with dry rock cycled and everything has gone through a 30 day quarantine process. Either by TSM or myself doing hybrid TTM. So I don’t think disease.

another idea that was thrown out there was toxins due to die off of algae that built up bc the skimmer was off for 6 hours and killed.
You will likely never know what caused it for a fact. I never found out with my tank, just speculation. Again sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will likely never know what caused it for a fact. I never found out with my tank, just speculation. Again sorry for your loss.
Thanks. It hurts a lot, I actually love these fish. They’re my relief from the horrors of work. I’m just wondering if it would still be safe to use if I add in what was learned from this episode so they at least won’t be in vain

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s highly unlikely to be disease. The most likely cause is the Dino X. Most likely Dino X did it’s thing and killer stuff that released toxins into the water.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It hurts a lot, I actually love these fish. They’re my relief from the horrors of work. I’m just wondering if it would still be safe to use if I add in what was learned from this episode so they at least won’t be in vain
I understand completely when it happened to me I was upset. It took me about 6 months before I was willing to add any fish back to the tank and even then I went incredibly slowly.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back