Help find coral name !!

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! I can’t figure out the name of my coral and it looks like it’s dying! I want to figure out what it is so I can try to fix it.

image.jpg image.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a keyna tree or a type of clove polyps.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a keyna tree or a type of clove polyps.
I had looked those up before but the thing is that those bulbs at the end have never been open, even when I bought it. So it didn’t look exactly like those corals.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could be cespitulinaria..... Its unhappy, hard to see exactly while its closed like that.
Ya that’s why I can’t tell either. It wasn’t ever open. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it healthy again? I initially had it at the top of my tank closer to the light and it was in an area of higher flow. Within the first few days I noticed it looked less and less healthy. So I moved it lower, less light and less flow. Just looks slumped over now.

nsteinca

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that’s why I can’t tell either. It wasn’t ever open. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it healthy again? I initially had it at the top of my tank closer to the light and it was in an area of higher flow. Within the first few days I noticed it looked less and less healthy. So I moved it lower, less light and less flow. Just looks slumped over now.
Higher light makes it more blue and lower light gives a little more of a purple color. Flow should be moderate to high

nsteinca

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it’s revivable ? It looks close to being dead
From your picture, I’d say so. In my experience if it starts to wither and melt away, your best bet is trying to frag a healthy piece sooner rather than later. Yours’ (from the picture) doesn’t look like it’s melting - which is good, but it doesn’t look too happy. If you can, find a spot in the tank where it’s getting a nice amount of flow where the water is moving from the bottom of the tank up towards the top. That extra “support” from the flow pushing it upwards seems to help them stay healthy. From a lighting standpoint, I wouldn’t blast it with light in its current state, but I also wouldn’t toss it in the shadows. Some lower but direct light while it’s healing should be fine. From my experience they can be real finicky if they’re not in the right flow

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your picture, I’d say so. In my experience if it starts to wither and melt away, your best bet is trying to frag a healthy piece sooner rather than later. Yours’ (from the picture) doesn’t look like it’s melting - which is good, but it doesn’t look too happy. If you can, find a spot in the tank where it’s getting a nice amount of flow where the water is moving from the bottom of the tank up towards the top. That extra “support” from the flow pushing it upwards seems to help them stay healthy. From a lighting standpoint, I wouldn’t blast it with light in its current state, but I also wouldn’t toss it in the shadows. Some lower but direct light while it’s healing should be fine. From my experience they can be real finicky if they’re not in the right flow
Ok thank you! I’m gonna try to get more flow in that spot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back