Help! Freight Dropped My Tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They should be insured and I would have had them document the drop and forwarded it to shipper in the event of any issues.
As others indicated- fill with freshwater and allow to sit for 48-72 hrs and inspect for any signs of moisture. Still let shipper know ASAP

OP
OP
A

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will do, just keep it simple, it was dropped, is now damaged, when will the replacement get here, as soon as you have said it was dropped and now damaged, stop there, don’t keep talking about that aspect, move on to say you hope you don’t have to wait weeks for a replacement, don’t go into how big the chip is, if they want to know any details let them ask, don’t offer extra details as you will help give them room to talk you into keeping it, it was damaged, when will the replacement get here!
Thank you, I sent a customer support email with some photos but I will definitely try to keep it simple.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would also contact your credit card and ask about the deadline for filing a claim with then. If the process with the company takes too long and you miss the credit card window that would suck. Just call credit card and ask how much time you have.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ever sign for something delivered by freight truck until you have inspected it. If it was dropped or you could see any damage refuse the shipment. If Waterbox arranges the shipping, it is their FOB, freight on board, meaning it is between them and the freight company but once you sign for it the tank is now yours and the vendor can give you a lot of flaming hoops to hop through. If it is your FOB then Waterbox has no responsibility once your truck picks it up but I doubt you made shipping arrangements and personally wrote a check to the trucking company for transportation.

OP
OP
A

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ever sign for something delivered by freight truck until you have inspected it. If it was dropped or you could see any damage refuse the shipment. If Waterbox arranges the shipping, it is their FOB, freight on board, meaning it is between them and the freight company but once you sign for it the tank is now yours and the vendor can give you a lot of flaming hoops to hop through. If it is your FOB then Waterbox has no responsibility once your truck picks it up but I doubt you made shipping arrangements and personally wrote a check to the trucking company for transportation.
I never signed for it and they said in the freight aggrement don’t refuse delivery unless it is obviously broken cause they might charge you.

0264D3D3-AF85-4858-8121-BB3CE970C6CA.jpeg

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is there response what do you think I should say

2EDF28C1-7B9F-4BD8-A362-09E5B66ED941.jpeg

You can send them a picture of the chip, but if they don't agree that it weakens the integrity of the tank, then you might be in for an argument. Or you can tell them NO, you aren't able to uncrate it but insist it is chipped and needs replacement, and see what they say.
Probably in for an argument no matter what if the chip is minor.

OP
OP
A

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can send them a picture of the chip, but if they don't agree that it weakens the integrity of the tank, then you might be in for an argument. Or you can tell them NO, you aren't able to uncrate it but insist it is chipped and needs replacement, and see what they say.
Probably in for an argument no matter what if the chip is minor.
My parents told me to ask how to inspect it so there aren’t problems in the future. They don’t think the chip is very important. I still don’t feel safe using it, cause it was dropped but they think it’s fine.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you post pictures of the chip here? I didn't see any. It's a new tank, it's probably totally fine. Are there shock watches on the crate? You'd be amazed how many times that thing was "dropped" on its way to you during transfers at shipping depots.

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to disagree with those that say keep it if the give a partial refund. Either you have confidence in it with the chip or not. If you truly don’t trust the tank, then even with a full refund giving you a free tank won’t make you feel good about it. A free tank that fails and you lose everything is not a win. Maybe find out who the mentioned tank builders are on this forum, tag them and try to get their expert opinion. See what someone who definitely knows what they’re talking about says about the chips effect on the tanks structure. GL.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would not uncrate it. Definitely agree with poster saying to reply that you don't feel comfortable doing that. I think most businesses and people are trustworthy, but you have to behave like they aren't - and I wouldn't do anything that leaves them potential to say it was damaged during the uncrating.

Take the best picture you can. Send it to them. It's chipped. This isn't an opinion issue. If it had been dropped and there was no physical damage then maybe there's some debate possible. But as it is, the brand new tank is chipped. End of story IMO.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is there response what do you think I should say

2EDF28C1-7B9F-4BD8-A362-09E5B66ED941.jpeg

say you don’t feel safe unpacking the tank more than you already have, you are frightened it may shatter, you saw it dropped and can see a chip in the bottom of the tank. That should be enough for them.
They are trying to get you to accept it, a chip is clear damage, why do they want you to find more, I would definitely find out how long you have with your credit card to make a claim, don’t miss that date, I would reply politely still but start to get firmer if they don’t reply with a replacement offer on reply.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back