Help - GFCI keeps tripping

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GFCI is about 3 years old so I don't think it is the problem but could be told differently. Was having a problem with my old sump setup where when I would do water changes water would splash out of my overflow when I closed off the ball valves. not a lot, but enough for a few dribbles to run down some cords and trip the gfci. At least that is what I think was happening.

So this weekend I put a new sump in and redid the pvc pipes and cleaned up the wiring so everything has drip loops now. Can't find any leaks. don't notice any water anywhere. Apex shows my max current draw with everything running is 3.9 amps.

GFCI tripped saturday night so display lights were off. Tripped again during the day today and heater was off and sump light was off. So I think I can rule out those 3. ATO pump was off. only common things running are the powerheads and return pump and the apex.

I can't run without the return pump so I guess I will restart everything and remove 1 powerhead at a time to see if it keeps happening.

Anyone else have any other suggestions? Just ordered a titanium ground probe as I hadn't heard of that before and want the fail safe.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GFCI is about 3 years old so I don't think it is the problem but could be told differently. Was having a problem with my old sump setup where when I would do water changes water would splash out of my overflow when I closed off the ball valves. not a lot, but enough for a few dribbles to run down some cords and trip the gfci. At least that is what I think was happening.

So this weekend I put a new sump in and redid the pvc pipes and cleaned up the wiring so everything has drip loops now. Can't find any leaks. don't notice any water anywhere. Apex shows my max current draw with everything running is 3.9 amps.

GFCI tripped saturday night so display lights were off. Tripped again during the day today and heater was off and sump light was off. So I think I can rule out those 3. ATO pump was off. only common things running are the powerheads and return pump and the apex.

I can't run without the return pump so I guess I will restart everything and remove 1 powerhead at a time to see if it keeps happening.

Anyone else have any other suggestions? Just ordered a titanium ground probe as I hadn't heard of that before and want the fail safe.
Any chance water dripped into the outlet itself prior to getting things cleaned up?

OP
OP
Z

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling the plumbing apart on Saturday, I’m sure it’s possible. And that’s why Sunday morning I just reset the gfci thinking maybe something just dripped whatnot. But I’d think that everything would be dried up by today

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling the plumbing apart on Saturday, I’m sure it’s possible. And that’s why Sunday morning I just reset the gfci thinking maybe something just dripped whatnot. But I’d think that everything would be dried up by today
It's not just about being dry. Salt creep or residue can also cause issues where current tracks to ground and trips the GFCI.
Getting the ground probe installed will help troubleshoot the GFCI issues. In order for the GFCI to trip (unless the GFCI is bad) is for there to be an exposed conductor and a path for current to ground. One of your power heads could be faulted and not tripping the GFCI because their is no reliable path to ground.
Would change the gfi, cheap enough, take it from there
A very good idea if you suspect that water may have gotten into the outlet.

OP
OP
Z

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I can try to get that done this evening. It’s inconveniently behind my sump so it’ll be a bit of a stretch.

I don’t know for sure that water did or didn’t get in it while I was working on it and think it may have been more likely that water could have gotten on my surge protector just based on where it was. Maybe I’ll swap it out as well just to be on the safe side.

Just thought it was really odd that it tripped after about 12 hours the first time and then about 40 hours this time.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I can try to get that done this evening. It’s inconveniently behind my sump so it’ll be a bit of a stretch.

I don’t know for sure that water did or didn’t get in it while I was working on it and think it may have been more likely that water could have gotten on my surge protector just based on where it was. Maybe I’ll swap it out as well just to be on the safe side.

Just thought it was really odd that it tripped after about 12 hours the first time and then about 40 hours this time.
Probably a good idea. I've gotten salt water in my power strips before and I'll soak it in a container of RODI for a few hours then drain it and let it dry for a few days. If it doesn't trip a GFCI after being plugged in for a couple hours I consider it safe to use.

OP
OP
Z

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a good idea. I've gotten salt water in my power strips before and I'll soak it in a container of RODI for a few hours then drain it and let it dry for a few days. If it doesn't trip a GFCI after being plugged in for a couple hours I consider it safe to use.

Gotcha. Well I’ll just pick up a new gfci and surge protector after work and rule those out. I’ll go ahead and soak the old one and keep it in the garage for other stuff. Would’ve tossed it out otherwise haha

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the guys about but will add GFCI Outlets can just go bad. When they do this is what happens they just randomly trip. With that said i would without a Doubt be sure my Water Grounding probe is connected , measure conductivity in the water with a meter with everything unplugged and plugging in one item at a time just be sure something is not shorting out. Of course inspect each item and its cord paying close attention to where it goes into the Device under the water..

Good Luck

OP
OP
Z

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the guys about but will add GFCI Outlets can just go bad. When they do this is what happens they just randomly trip. With that said i would without a Doubt be sure my Water Grounding probe is connected , measure conductivity in the water with a meter with everything unplugged and plugging in one item at a time just be sure something is not shorting out. Of course inspect each item and its cord paying close attention to where it goes into the Device under the water..

Good Luck

Can you explain measuring the conductivity a little more? One probe in the water and the other on a ground? Assuming this has to be done after I add the ground probe (won't have it until wednesday). checking for stray voltage? Or am I not even close on what you are suggesting?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your tank equipment the only thing on the GFI Circuit? most home circuits usually contains several plugs place at different locations in the home. look at your breaker box and determine how many amps the break that your equipment is plugged into is rated for.( it the white number on the little breaker switch). if its 20 (which most are) and your equipment is pulling 3.9, that tells you that there is other NON TANK equipment plugged in some where in the house. if there is nothing else plugged in any where in the home then yes start with the gfi replace.

OP
OP
Z

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your tank equipment the only thing on the GFI Circuit? most home circuits usually contains several plugs place at different locations in the home. look at your breaker box and determine how many amps the break that your equipment is plugged into is rated for.( it the white number on the little breaker switch). if its 20 (which most are) and your equipment is pulling 3.9, that tells you that there is other NON TANK equipment plugged in some where in the house. if there is nothing else plugged in any where in the home then yes start with the gfi replace.

So it is in my living room. the circuit originally did not have a gfci on it at all. I have my tv, surround sound plugged in on the same circuit. but the gfci is wire for just that outlet. I think. When the gfci trips it only kills that plug. but when my heater exploded a couple months ago it tripped the breaker and the whole living room lost power. So I am pretty sure it is isolated to this outlet.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but the gfci is wire for just that outlet
this is not correct. a GFI Protects what ever is plugged into that outlet but, it is still wired into the same circuit (unless you ran a separate wire and installed a new breaker for your tank) as all your other living room outlets to much power / amp draw / pull on the circuit will trip the gfi first, then the breaker, if it is a massive power surge like the heater explosion then your breaker trips just as you said.......

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a GFI Protects what ever is plugged into that outlet but, it is still wired into the same circuit (unless you ran a separate wire and installed a new breaker for your tank) as all your other living room outlets to much power / amp draw / pull on the circuit will trip the gfi first, then the breaker
Actually, this isn't correct. A GFCI should never trip even when overloaded. The only thing that should make a GFCI trip is an unbalance between hot and neutral currents. The breaker is the only thing that provides overload protection.

OP
OP
Z

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess one good thing about diagnosing this, the gfi has tripped when nothing else was on. happened at night when everything was off but the tank saturday at 2am and today when no one was home.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good point. all thought ... i have 4 outside outlets along my house and one( only one) is a gfi, when i plug in to many things to any off the other outlets, my gfi outlet trips. and i have to walk to the other side of the house to reset it. its also sunny out when im working in the yard or my front yard Christmas lights get wet and it trips the gfi thats located in the back side of the house

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good point. all thought ... i have 4 outside outlets along my house and one( only one) is a gfi, when i plug in to many things to any off the other outlets, my gfi outlet trips. and i have to walk to the other side of the house to reset it. its also sunny out when im working in the yard or my front yard Christmas lights get wet and it trips the gfi thats located in the back side of the house
My house is wired the same way but the GFCI isn't tripping on overload, it is on a ground fault. This is why it is more likely to happen when it is wet outside. GFCI's can be wired in one of two ways. They can either only protect it's outlets or they can protect it's outlets and all the outlets wired after them. In my case, the GFCI receptacle in my garage is the first one in the string and protects all of the other outdoor receptacles from ground fault.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you know where in the circuit this outlet is? FIRST 2ND THIRD, If looking at it does it have three wires attached? or are there more than three?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres an idea. 20 bucks for wire ( depending on how much you need) 5 bucks for a breaker, and 15-20 for a new gfi and wall box. then install a dedcated line just for the tank. ONLY..... ONLY..... IF YOU FEEL comfortable doing it. its not hard. you tube it. but elec will kill your butt. this is how my set up is running.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back