Help help Leopard Polyclad Flatworm big as my hand.

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't
Flatworm x doesn't work on these guys I have them two and already lost a hammer and octo them I'm still trying to figure out a way to get rid of them without shutting down
Lost know corals just snails everything I have read just says they eat snails and clams. Do u have any info on this type of flat worm eating corals?

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had at least one of these (that I was able to find) come in on some torches a few years back.

I removed the one I found and used the flatworm meds at several times the recommended strength in a separate bucket. I ended up at 4x strength for several hours and no noticeable change in its behavior, so it got flushed. Ended up manually checking rocks and corals for several weeks and didn’t see any more.

I hadn’t tried the Bayer dip back then so I don’t know if that would’ve worked, but I suspect it would be more effective. It is NOT something you can dose to the display tank.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know that they are gooey as I have just spotted one the other day and am planning my attack. I will be doing a tank transfer soon and only have about 20lbs of rock to look through so hopefully I can find mine.

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know that they are gooey as I have just spotted one the other day and am planning my attack. I will be doing a tank transfer soon and only have about 20lbs of rock to look through so hopefully I can find mine.
Good luck they hang out all inside the Rock crevices. Very hard to see and only come out at night. There's no telling how long this has been in my tank. I would have say long time by the size of it. And I and ocd bout checking on my tank. And alot other said only reason they saw it was because it was on there glass. But best luck

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck they hang out all inside the Rock crevices. Very hard to see and only come out at night. There's no telling how long this has been in my tank. I would have say long time by the size of it. And I and ocd bout checking on my tank. And alot other said only reason they saw it was because it was on there glass. But best luck
I was thinking to run my rocks in a bar bottom tank for a week or so, hoping that while it's dark I can hunt it down with a red flashlight. I like my snails and don't want them to be constantly in threat. Mine about the size of a quarter so it can definitely be in some tight spots. If I spot it on a rock I plan on grabbing that one rock and doing a freshwater dip, that usually expells out the unwanted things pretty quickly. Or I might not see it again, who knows?

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking to run my rocks in a bar bottom tank for a week or so, hoping that while it's dark I can hunt it down with a red flashlight. I like my snails and don't want them to be constantly in threat. Mine about the size of a quarter so it can definitely be in some tight spots. If I spot it on a rock I plan on grabbing that one rock and doing a freshwater dip, that usually expells out the unwanted things pretty quickly. Or I might not see it again, who knows?
Yea sure u seen that pic of him eating that nail. But I worried bout my clams

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got em. Only took long nights of no sleep and checking the tank at the right time. And I got so lucky I seen him on a rock I was able to pull out tank. I tryed grabbing him with tweezers started to tear so I grabbed the hole rock : ) let's just hope there are know more.
IMG_20220329_030924484.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job! You got very lucky.

I have no idea how long mine was in the tank(tank is 10 years old).

From my research the large ones like I had were euphyllia eating flatworms. I would tend too agree as I slowly started loosing many euphyllia over the course of several months. It wasn't until they were all dead, that it showed itself on the glass.

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job! You got very lucky.

I have no idea how long mine was in the tank(tank is 10 years old).

From my research the large ones like I had were euphyllia eating flatworms. I would tend too agree as I slowly started loosing many euphyllia over the course of several months. It wasn't until they were all dead, that it showed itself on the glass.
Yea very lucky. And yea I haven't read anything about this type eating corals. Just snails and clams. And I believe that after seeing him spit out that shell. I going keep eye on it few more nights but I read that u usually only have one but who knows. And I thought bout dipping it to see it's real size but then I was like it's 3am I need sleep and I really don't want see that lol. So I put the rock out side where it's a balming 20 degrees

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said every couple years I find another out of no where just so happens today one was on the glass and 3 hours before this I lost a head of my Aussie orange torch. Hmmm Was it coincidence that his torch has been fine for about two years I lose a head three hours later after dipping the torch find this flat worm on the glass. Anyways at least for me I could never get rid of them

Attachments

• A7442652-42ED-4672-A208-E8683F64F9DA.jpeg
    A7442652-42ED-4672-A208-E8683F64F9DA.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 97
OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said every couple years I find another out of no where just so happens today one was on the glass and 3 hours before this I lost a head of my Aussie orange torch. Hmmm Was it coincidence that his torch has been fine for about two years I lose a head three hours later after dipping the torch find this flat worm on the glass. Anyways at least for me I could never get rid of them
dang that's a bummer I hope to never see one again lol. But good find

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up finding my flatworm moments ago. It's still chilling in the container. It was engulfing an empty shell one of my hermits left. I was able to grab the shell with long tweezers. Creepy lil bugger.

Attachments

• 20220413_060728_exported_6074.jpg
    20220413_060728_exported_6074.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up finding my flatworm moments ago. It's still chilling in the container. It was engulfing an empty shell one of my hermits left. I was able to grab the shell with long tweezers. Creepy lil bugger.
That's crazy man glad u got it. And they are so creepy looking.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy man glad u got it. And they are so creepy looking.
I thought it was an empty shell but once it let go of that shell I realized it was my only Halloween hermit. I threw it back in the tank but it hasn't moved and all the fish are pecking at it so I'm sure it's dead.

I thought they only went for snails and clams, I haven't read any incidents of hermit killing.

Attachments

• 20220413_083429.jpg
    20220413_083429.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220413_083439.jpg
    20220413_083439.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was an empty shell but once it let go of that shell I realized it was my only Halloween hermit. I threw it back in the tank but it hasn't moved and all the fish are pecking at it so I'm sure it's dead.

I thought they only went for snails and clams, I haven't read any incidents of hermit killing.
Yea I haven't read anything about it. But I have had my blue leg hermit stay in it shell for days at a time with out coming out. But I think they have to have some type of poisonous skin or something saliva that they're made out of I don't know but they got to kill the snails and eat it I would think somehow so maybe they can kill a hermit crab or shrimp or something ‍♂️

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a small one of these on my glass 2 days ago. I didn't know what it was till now. I didn't remove it either like a dummy. I have had a few LPS head losses to over the past month. Just slow decline so maybe it's eating my corals now too. I should have killed the sucka when I had the chance. I thought my wrasses would get it.

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a small one of these on my glass 2 days ago. I didn't know what it was till now. I didn't remove it either like a dummy. I have had a few LPS head losses to over the past month. Just slow decline so maybe it's eating my corals now too. I should have killed the sucka when I had the chance. I thought my wrasses would get it.
Anything that ur not sure about take out.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having good luck by using a very large fighting conch for bait lately Soon as I put him in tank within first day I seem 4 Polyclad walking around the tank searching for him. They would slide across the sand toward him and when they touch him he would thrash around and throw the worm off. Usually touching the glass with its shell to get my attention. Then I use a siphoned hose in a bucket and suck the worm out. I’ve gotten four in the past week

OP
OP
jordan10

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having good luck by using a very large fighting conch for bait lately Soon as I put him in tank within first day I seem 4 Polyclad walking around the tank searching for him. They would slide across the sand toward him and when they touch him he would thrash around and throw the worm off. Usually touching the glass with its shell to get my attention. Then I use a siphoned hose in a bucket and suck the worm out. I’ve gotten four in the past week
Good idea my dude. I haven't seen any sense I got that big one out thank god. Hope u get them eradicated

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea my dude. I haven't seen any sense I got that big one out thank god. Hope u get them eradicated
I haven’t seen any since the last one I pulled out 6 month ago till I got the fighting conch and then seen four

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • Full frame

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back