HELP! I kill all my LPS

Hollywood Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS look GREAT and are growing fast. My only two zoa frags are quickly turning into colonies.

LSP only dies.

My tank params are spot on. 1.026, 0/0/3 phos 0. 79* 8.5 alk 400 calcium. I hand top off morning and night to maintain salinity. checked 2x daily because I'm still addicted to my new refractor.

Tanks been running for about 4 years.

But it's a 20g tank and I get about a 2-3* temperature swing every Saturday when I do my water change.

How do I fix this. About to move my hammers rock into my reefer 170 that's only been up week, but is seeded with media from my nano as a last ditch, as a last ditch effort to save them, because its easier to keep the temperature stable with it's thermo control, and the ATO keeps salinity constant.

Is this drastic action wise. I feel I have nothing to lose.

OP
OP
Hollywood Hobbyist

Hollywood Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
57334567-36C0-4A64-97CB-E0E479945649.jpeg

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, looks a little to late to save him. But go for it, but just watch for brown jelly disease. Was anything bothering it? Any clowns being to friendly? A temp swing of 3 degrees wouldn’t stress the coral like that. Was the coral shipped to you? Was it receding tissue when you bought it?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it's difficult to read your params but did you say your phos is 0? If so, that would 100% do this.

OP
OP
Hollywood Hobbyist

Hollywood Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, looks a little to late to save him. But go for it, but just watch for brown jelly disease. Was anything bothering it? Any clowns being to friendly? A temp swing of 3 degrees wouldn’t stress the coral like that. Was the coral shipped to you? Was it receding tissue when you bought it?
I bought it locally, first week it was so happy. Didn't start to melt until after big water change

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He noted the temp change on water changes, I provided a solution for that. I never said that this was a correction for the problem he was having, because I agree the temp isn't the problem.
My comment was directed at him :), I agree with you.

There are only 3 occasions where I've seen lps die like this (I have an lps tank with about 70 different kinds in there):
1.) Zeroed out phosphates, never ever ever ever ever let your phosphates hit 0. It's the biggest coral killer I see on this site.
2.) Mag has dropped way too low.
3.) I recently had two very expensive lps die like this from having to feed bound food with kana/metro. A trachy and dragon soul torch ate a piece and died within 3 days.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, my phos is unmeasurable, running gfo. I need dirtier water?

I can make that happen pretty easily. there's detritus on the media bag I put in the reefer
YES! Corals need phosphate. They don't tolerate low/non-existent phosphate levels like they do nitrate. Phosphate starvation is the #1 coral killer in our oceans (because of N enrichment). This will quickly kill a coral if you let it continue for more than 4-5 days, it can also cause dino.

OP
OP
Hollywood Hobbyist

Hollywood Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My comment was directed at him :), I agree with you.

There are only 3 occasions where I've seen lps die like this (I have an lps tank with about 70 different kinds in there):
1.) Zeroed out phosphates, never ever ever ever ever let your phosphates hit 0. It's the biggest coral killer I see on this site.
2.) Mag has dropped way too low.
3.) I recently had two very expensive lps die like this from having to feed bound food with kana/metro. A trachy and dragon soul torch ate a piece and died within 3 days.
dang, I didn't think of this. I JUST replaced my six month old gfo when I did the water change. I probably had a little phos before and I bet it zeroed nigh instantly when I did the swap.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, I didn't think of this. I JUST replaced my six month old gfo when I did the water change. I probably had a little phos before and I bet it zeroed nigh instantly when I did the swap.
It looks like you have kept that hammer so you'll know pretty quick if phosphate is the issue. Consider dosing or overfeeding for the next 2-3 days. Get phos to something like .05 and if the hammer perks up then you're good.

That frogspawn is dead unfortunately. Once the mouth goes with euphyllia, there's nothing you can do.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Adding LPS to SPS creates an environment where toxins are present. Running multiple mixed reefs, carbon is a must for removal
I use chemipure elite or blue
Additionally, look for any bugs or eggs.
Assure also that you’re not getting a false reading for salinity. Calibrate hydrometer.
Temperature range is 76-79, salinity 1.025 and ph 8.1-8.3

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
FEEDING NOW. Thanks guys. Fingers crossed I can save them. probably best to leave them in the nano for now then- eh.
Leave in nano
Moving it around may stress it

Back