Help ID brown sludge and help with calcium cloudiness

coralreefer123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a bare bottom FOWLR nano tank that has been fully cycled for months, no issues, and I am having issues with this brown sludge that is , along with calcium, making my water cloudy.. All nitrites and nitrates are at acceptable levels (0ppm and 10ppm), undetectable ammonia. pH is a low 7.8. I think there are calcium deposits (?) making my tank water cloudy. Measured and it was at 500mg/L.

1) What is the brown sludge pictured (see inside PVS pipe and on top of one of the filters), I have seen and had diatoms and algae blooms in previous tanks, this is not it, and looks different. It looks like waste accumulation or detritus? I suction waste out every day so I am confused why there all the sudden seems to be this brown accumulation everywhere.
2) How can I fix my cloudy water? I did a 30% water change last night which helped but it is still semi cloudy.

Thank you!

fish2.jpg fish.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The brown stuff is diatoms which is not abnormal
You can reduce white light intensity which will help as well as addition of astrea and cerith snails to help clean up
For cloudy, check your filter and add a pouch of chemipure blue which will polish the water
You may be getting temporary blooms

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back