Help ID these...

Jesse Sunday

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 14, 2023
Messages
874
Reaction score
481
Location
Sarasota, Florida
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Good morning Reefers!

I have a 32 Biocube that's been running for a month now... live rock donated from a friend's tank. I LOVE all the life that came with the live rock, but I have NO idea what most of it is.

There's a white (almost slime-looking?) growth that "sprouts" little tree-looking things... Does anyone know what they are? (the picture is right-side-up, my Royal Gramma is just weird and upside down in this pic)

Also, I was given a mushroom (coral?). Is there a specific type of mushroom this one is?

Thanks for all your help!

1-7U5A1436.JPG 2-7U5A1438.JPG
 
It looks like each polyp has 8 tentacles on it, so I'd guess it's some kind of octocoral (soft corals, gorgonians, etc.), but I don't see any feathering of any kind of the tentacles that would help narrow it down. The stark white color is very pretty and unique though.
 
It looks like each polyp has 8 tentacles on it, so I'd guess it's some kind of octocoral (soft corals, gorgonians, etc.), but I don't see any feathering of any kind of the tentacles that would help narrow it down. The stark white color is very pretty and unique though.

Thank you for your insight! :) I'll try to get better pictures later.
 
Ok, I’ve seen a plethora of marine life but that’s a first & looks neat . I would also agree in being some type of soft coral maybe NPS (nonphotosynthetic) hopefully someone can give us all a proper ID. Still very neat looking & a sign of a healthy ecosystem & husbandry practices.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new