Help ID this Algae (Bryopsis?)

RedzaRamzan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, and sorry for yet another "help me ID this" thread. I tried searching through many bryopsis threads but couldnt find something similar.

There is a breakout in my tank and theres like a ton of different types of algae (haha oops) but this one is one that i cant ID.

It produces runners and it grows like tiny christmas trees or toilet brushes. The roots are thin and they dig into the rock and sand bed.

I would say its a form of bryopsis but the way they grow doesnt match anything ive seen on the forum or google.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

20220813_161148.jpg

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks similar to bryopsis. However, I am only familiar with the fern shaped variety.

I had it show up in a nano and I treated it with Reef Rx. It came back after treatment, but eventually disappeared on its own and I haven’t seen it since. I chalked it up to new tank syndrome.

OP
OP
RedzaRamzan

RedzaRamzan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks similar to bryopsis. However, I am only familiar with the fern shaped variety.

I had it show up in a nano and I treated it with Reef Rx. It came back after treatment, but eventually disappeared on its own and I haven’t seen it since. I chalked it up to new tank syndrome.
Yeah my tank is a little over a year old and all sorts of funky things are happening now, so that could be it. But then again ive got coraline and good coral growth all around, so that means its sort of mature right?

Reckon that the fern shaped ones are the most common type in the hobby? And these toilet brushes are the lesser known ones?

Back