Help identifying illness

NatanylJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1754.jpeg
IMG_1750.jpeg

Moved blue my blue hippo into my larger display tank.

Looks too small to be Ich, and too smooth to be velvet. Nothing is on the fins. Seems to be body only.

I’m leaning towards a general fungus?

Skin doesn’t seem to be molting off like brooklynella

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you get some closer pics if able?
Is the fish acting off at all?
How long has it been affected, have you noticed it get better/worse/the same?

This looks to be early head and lateral line erosion (HLLE), but answering the above will help confirm.
Generally this can be seen as a result of stress or diet, but there is also a correlation with hlle in tangs and carbon filtration.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IMG_1754.jpeg
IMG_1750.jpeg

Moved blue my blue hippo into my larger display tank.

Looks too small to be Ich, and too smooth to be velvet. Nothing is on the fins. Seems to be body only.

I’m leaning towards a general fungus?

Skin doesn’t seem to be molting off like brooklynella
Pics a little fuzzy and fish distant in the pic but looks like typical with these fish mucus cones possible mixed in with ich. Best treatment is isolation in a quarantine tank with and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.

OP
OP
NatanylJames

NatanylJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you get some closer pics if able?
Is the fish acting off at all?
How long has it been affected, have you noticed it get better/worse/the same?

This looks to be early head and lateral line erosion (HLLE), but answering the above will help confirm.
Generally this can be seen as a result of stress or diet, but there is also a correlation with hlle in tangs and carbon filtration.
I don’t use carbon filtration…it’s been about a week so that’s why I don’t think velvet…it’d be dead

OP
OP
NatanylJames

NatanylJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics a little fuzzy and fish distant in the pic but looks like typical with these fish mucus cones possible mixed in with ich. Best treatment is isolation in a quarantine tank with and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
I ordered some cupramine and a salifert copper test kit. Will try copper treatments tomorrow.

Setting up the QT tank today.

Haven’t noticed any other fish with the issues. Just the hippo being dramatic

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you haven't treated the rest of the fish with copper/prazipro protocol, you should treat them all IMHO. Additionally, you will need to leave your display tank fallow for a period - depending on which protocol you use. Good luck with the fish

OP
OP
NatanylJames

NatanylJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't treated the rest of the fish with copper/prazipro protocol, you should treat them all IMHO. Additionally, you will need to leave your display tank fallow for a period - depending on which protocol you use. Good luck with the fish
So 30 days with cupramine and leave the display empty for 72 days?

Is it okay to leave the fish in the QT tank and use carbon to remove copper after 30. I don’t really have anywhere else to put them after the initial medication

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%

Back