Help identifying tiny organisms + some other questions

mh0ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am new to saltwater and fish keeping in general, and I need some help identifying some tiny organisms, possibly some sort of egg(s), and have a couple of other questions!

This afternoon I was blowing off my rock work with a baster and quite a bit of white specs blew out almost like snow. It kindof looks like sand grains but I dont think it is. Any idea what it might be?

white_stuff_2.jpg

white_stuff.jpg

Those are about as good of pics as I can get of some of it. There are also places that don't seem to blow off at all. The only thing I can think of is maybe some calcium deposits or something?

The main reason I was blowing them off was to blow loose some red hair algae (I think?) and siphon it out. However, after doing this, my curiosity got the best of me and I put some of the stuff that was syphoned under my digital microscope. What I found were a couple of tiny worm-like organisms and I have no idea if they are good or bad.
IMG_4987_mov.png

Apologies in advance for the poor pic and video quality, but the microscope doesn't record video so I had to record its screen with my phone. In the screen grab above I've pointed out the two little organisms and also what looks like some kind of egg? There were a couple of them in the sample I took.

Here is a link to the video which will make it easier to see the organisms:

Thanks for any help in advance!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am new to saltwater and fish keeping in general, and I need some help identifying some tiny organisms, possibly some sort of egg(s), and have a couple of other questions!

This afternoon I was blowing off my rock work with a baster and quite a bit of white specs blew out almost like snow. It kindof looks like sand grains but I dont think it is. Any idea what it might be?

white_stuff_2.jpg

white_stuff.jpg

Those are about as good of pics as I can get of some of it. There are also places that don't seem to blow off at all. The only thing I can think of is maybe some calcium deposits or something?

The main reason I was blowing them off was to blow loose some red hair algae (I think?) and siphon it out. However, after doing this, my curiosity got the best of me and I put some of the stuff that was syphoned under my digital microscope. What I found were a couple of tiny worm-like organisms and I have no idea if they are good or bad.
IMG_4987_mov.png

Apologies in advance for the poor pic and video quality, but the microscope doesn't record video so I had to record its screen with my phone. In the screen grab above I've pointed out the two little organisms and also what looks like some kind of egg? There were a couple of them in the sample I took.

Here is a link to the video which will make it easier to see the organisms:

Thanks for any help in advance!

I suspect the bulk of the white dust is sand. No way to tell what those microscopic things are. Worms are generally a good thing to have in an aquarium because they are part of the real clean up crew. The round things could be a photosynthetic organism.

OP
OP
M

mh0ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! My main concern was just trying to make sure those worm-like things weren't some sort of parasite or similar.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuff blowing off rocks is detritus. Doing so should be a regular part of maintenance during water changes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back