Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't lower salinity. You could do a quick freshwater bath to help a little for the time being. That's either a serious case of ich or velvet. Hopefully that isn't velvet. Good luck.

Marc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy! Looks like velvet. As others said, act quickly. Get in QT get copper. Looks pretty severe right now good luck

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is actually velvet. Treatment details are included in the link.

OP
OP
Wyleskymommy

Wyleskymommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!

OP
OP
Wyleskymommy

Wyleskymommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is in a separate tank, but one of my fish from the other tank was in here before being added to the other tank. Just wanted to show.

Snapchat-276094092.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This exactly. Very severe, you’ll need to act quickly.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet Emergency Plan:

• 5 minute freshwater dip
  • Immediately afterwards, perform a chemical bath (in saltwater matching SG/temp the fish came from). THIS STEP GREATLY IMPROVE SURVIVAL RATES: You have two options:
  1. Acriflavine (preferred) - Do the bath for 75-90 minutes, but remove the fish immediately at the first sign of distress. Aerate heavily both before & during the bath, and temperature control the water. The following products contain acriflavine: Acriflavine-MS and Ruby Reef Rally. DO NOT mix acriflavine with any other chemicals.
  2. Formalin - Do the bath for 30-60 minutes max, but remove the fish immediately at the first sign of distress. Aerate heavily both before & during the bath, and temperature control the water. The following products contain formalin: Formalin-MS, Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus. Use protection (rubber gloves, face mask, eye protection, etc.) whenever handling formalin as it is a known carcinogen! However, you can add Methylene Blue to the formalin bath (1 capful per 2-3 gallons of bath water.)
  • After the bath, place the fish in a QT pre-dosed at 80mg/gal using Chloroquine phosphate. In theory, copper (exs. Cupramine, Coppersafe, Copper Power) should work just as well as CP. However, due to how fast velvet can reproduce you don’t have the luxury of slowly ramping up the copper level as is normally advised. Therefore, the fish needs to be placed in a QT with copper already at minimum therapeutic levels. This is the advantage CP has over copper in this particular situation.
  • While in QT, use a wide spectrum antibiotic (exs. Seachem Kanaplex, Furan-2) for the first week to ward off any possible bacterial infections. Secondary bacterial infections are very common in fish with preexisting parasitic infestations such as velvet.
  • Keep the fish in CP or copper (at therapeutic levels) for one month. However, you can transfer the fish into a non-medicated holding tank for observation after just two weeks (explained below). DO NOT lower the CP or copper level before transferring.

OP
OP
Wyleskymommy

Wyleskymommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day one with quarantine going good so far. Everyone is still alive and eating well! Fingers crossed that all my saltwater babies make it through treatment. Started treating in qt with Cupramine.

OP
OP
Wyleskymommy

Wyleskymommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can eels get velvet? I have read about them being immune. Just wondering if they are infact immune would it be fine in another tank I have running? That tank currently has two volitans in it and nothing else which I have read are also immune. Thus eel came out of the tank I had with velvet in it!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can eels get velvet? I have read about them being immune. Just wondering if they are infact immune would it be fine in another tank I have running? That tank currently has two volitans in it and nothing else which I have read are also immune. Thus eel came out of the tank I had with velvet in it!
Yes, they can and do get and also act as carriers due to their slime coats.

OP
OP
Wyleskymommy

Wyleskymommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
Ok I am not giving up, but everyone looks like they might not make it with the exception on my ribbon eel you said the eel could be a carrier, so does that mean it hosts the parasite. Just wondering if everyone else does die do i continue the copper treatment?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back