Help - LED Black Box Power Supply

augiedoggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knowing your level of electronic stuff, you do know that there is a positive and negative side to a capacitor. If it's a new capacitor, the longer lead (wire) is the positive side. Obviously, they need to be installed properly as well, knowing what connection is the positive and negative connections.
Yes Sir, I mentioned that in the other thread I linked earlier for others who may tackle the job. The capacitor also typically has a strip down its body to help distinguish its orientation. I dont know if you meant to quote me or the guy who is having an issue repairing his but I was able to successfully repair mine by replacing the caps.

Ive replaced many caps over the years and I used to buy them in quantities off ebay. sometimes Id end up with some poor quality caps and I dont know your electrical background but you might know there was a period of years in the early 2000s where a lot of sub quality garbage caps were put into everything from Dell computers to samsung and lg tvs (most were branded as "Samwa")
There was even a class action suit against samsung due to all the failures. If a person told me they had a certain model lg or samsung at that time that needed repair I could typically diagnose and know wht caps I needed before even opening them up due to the same failures being so common same with the 2200uf caps on Dell motherboards. We had equipment that was licensed to the mac address of the main board and it was a half day process to reload the OS and re license the software which would also only work on a certain series of dell optiplex pcs. Not to mention the customer had to pay $3200 for that obsolete dell through "proper authorized channels" So it became standard practice for me to replace the caps with better quality versions and prevent the issue from returning which was what would happen if we just ordered another new dell pc at the time. (Since they were all new old stock with the same subpar caps) Ive also likely replaced at least 100 1000uf caps in various power supplies over the years.

Its not always caps that fail but thats typically the most common thing to go with age.

Last edited:

augiedoggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No 165W fixture runs at 165 watts. That is the calculated wattage of 55 3W LED's. Each LED runs at approximately 2.1W, which comes out to approximately 120 watts.
I noticed when ordering different replacement leds that the different color spectrum "3w" leds all have different acceptable voltage ranges from the same manufacturers. Ive seen some that are speced for up to 4.2v and some wont even output the correct spectrum below say 2.6v. Also there are some that wont even tolerate 3v without turning black over time.
I do remember that the black boxes started out being sold as 120w with the 600ma drivers turned down to deliver close to 2.1-2.2w per led. (one channel actually has an extra led than the other and is likely being fed a higher wattage as a result unless someone took the time to adjust each driver)
You can however adjust the pot on that board and increase or decrease this which theres even a you tube video showing how to get lower intensity control with the dimmer knobs.
Also these boxes do use different driver boards and im willing to bet some factories are in fact using higher output drivers than others. This is purely speculation on my part though as I havent actually checked the output of the 4 different types of 55led fixtures I have laying around.

I do know they have improved them over the years with some added things like shotke diodes to prevent the whole array from failing if one led fails like you experienced. I dont care for the single power inlet myself as I like to control my blues and full spectrum lights on different staged timers.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back