Help lowering Alk and Calcium

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one go about lowering your alkalinity and calcium? I followed directions from brs calculator on adding a 2 part to my tank. DkH was 13.5 and calcium was 423. It said to add 13.7 ounces. I thought that was a lot and only added 4 ounces. This morning DkH is 13.3 and calcium is 523

Tank is 230g total

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How does one go about lowering your alkalinity and calcium? I followed directions from brs calculator on adding a 2 part to my tank. DkH was 13.5 and calcium was 423. It said to add 13.7 ounces. I thought that was a lot and only added 4 ounces. This morning DkH is 13.3 and calcium is 523

Tank is 230g total
Hi - First, double check that your tests are accurate. Second, Time will lower them. I recently had a problem - whereby 800cc of BRS Ca, and Alkalinity were added to my tank by a doser. The alkalinity went up to 22. Now with just 'waiting' (about 3 weeks), with some coral loss, the alkalinity is down to 13. Never any effects on the fish, etc. My guess is most of the Ca/Alkalinity precipitated (there was never any cloudy water, etc). The soft corals were all fine.

The other thing you can do is do a water change with a lower alkalinity salt (a couple) - each day for several days. Sometimes its best to let things work out rather than immediately try to correct.

PS - I would consider a doser, so that you can release the Ca and Alkalinity slowly into the tank - and set it, rather than using daily dosing.

PPS. Consider that your rock, etc will take up space in your tank. Its curious - something seems off - either your volume or something - because if you used the calculator, and your initial tests were correct, AND you mixed the BRS solution correctly (did you use sodium carbonate instead of bicarbonate, etc) there should be no way that (since you used 1/3 the dose) - that your alkalinity shoudl be the high? (What did it start out at?)

OP
OP
DcoarM

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually used ESV 2 part. Just added Calcium to the tank to try and lower DkH

OP
OP
DcoarM

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was only trying to lower Alk and raise calcium a little. It's been a quite a while since I dosed, but my memory said if you add one it will lower the other.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was only trying to lower Alk and raise calcium a little. It's been a quite a while since I dosed, but my memory said if you add one it will lower the other.
This is not completely true. If you create a massive imbalance in Ca or Alkalinity (for example added a lot of Ca, some alkalinity will precipitate). But - adding Ca, in general will not decrease alkalinity. The alkalinity will gradually decline on its own. What levels are you shooting for?

OP
OP
DcoarM

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not completely true. If you create a massive imbalance in Ca or Alkalinity (for example added a lot of Ca, some alkalinity will precipitate). But - adding Ca, in general will not decrease alkalinity. The alkalinity will gradually decline on its own. What levels are you shooting for?
11 dkh 450 calcium

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back