poncho.m.0909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I recently bought a Mandarin Goby for my year and a half 32 gal saltwater tank, for the past 2 weeks I've seen him pecking at the substrate and rocks all the time which I suppose means there are copepods in the tank, but still he seems to be very thin and is not eating the live BBS I have attempted to feed him. Does he seem skinny or underfed to you? How can I get him to like BBS or any alternative methods of feeding? Any help appreciated!

Captura de pantalla 2023-08-19 a la(s) 19.48.17.png Captura de pantalla 2023-08-19 a la(s) 19.48.24.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see clearly enough in the images, but it doesn't look like it (unless you can see his ribs, then he probably is too thin). I'd seed with some more pods if you're concerned. PE Calanus is another (small) food you can try.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If it is still regularly pecking at rocks I think there are pods but I would definitely be adding pods every two weeks if I was you. Culturing them is pretty easy and will save you a lot of money.

I have read getting wild caught mandarins may be impossible to convert to prepared foods. You could try turning off all pumps when feeding the smallest frozen food you can find may help. Think about them eating pods, the pods pretty much are perfectly still while they are pecking at them so frozen food floating by isn’t going to be as appealing to them.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read getting wild caught mandarins may be impossible to convert to prepared foods. You could try turning off all pumps when feeding the smallest frozen food you can find may help. Think about them eating pods, the pods pretty much are perfectly still while they are pecking at them so frozen food floating by isn’t going to be as appealing to them.
It's a myth - along the same lines that all captive bred mandarins eat frozen...

I've had 4 mandarins (now 2) that routinely ate frozen. My last pair even ate pellets.

OP
OP
P

poncho.m.0909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see clearly enough in the images, but it doesn't look like it (unless you can see his ribs, then he probably is too thin). I'd seed with some more pods if you're concerned. PE Calanus is another (small) food you can try.
Heres some more pictures and videos. I think his rib is very visible in some of these. In the video u can see him pecking, but I think that he looks very thin. Will try to feed BBS again tomorrow, hopefully he'll eat some. I don't think he looks too healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_6338.mov
    81 MB
  • Captura de pantalla 2023-08-19 a la(s) 22.25.25.png
    Captura de pantalla 2023-08-19 a la(s) 22.25.25.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 102
  • Captura de pantalla 2023-08-19 a la(s) 22.26.05.png
    Captura de pantalla 2023-08-19 a la(s) 22.26.05.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 114

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does look skinny. I would start dosing pods before he starves
32 gallon is not enough room for them even if they do eat frozen, flakes and pellets

OP
OP
P

poncho.m.0909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does look skinny. I would start dosing pods before he starves
32 gallon is not enough room for them even if they do eat frozen, flakes and pellets
I live outside the US I'm not sure if they can ship live copepods to my country. I don't think they are available at my LFS either. Maybe I could add some algae to boost copepod population or try another method?

Daddio64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get live brine? Mine is a wild caught and will only eat live food. When I feed the tank (frozen) I baste wherever he is with the brine and I've seen him eat them. I do try to get pods occasionally to make sure there's a supply. Having a Scooter Blenny as well who does eat anything I know he'll help take down the pod population.

OP
OP
P

poncho.m.0909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get live brine? Mine is a wild caught and will only eat live food. When I feed the tank (frozen) I baste wherever he is with the brine and I've seen him eat them. I do try to get pods occasionally to make sure there's a supply. Having a Scooter Blenny as well who does eat anything I know he'll help take down the pod population.
Yesterday and Today I tried feeding him live Brine but had no luck. Will try again tomorrow. How do you get him to pick on the Brine? Mine just ignores it or swims away from it.

OP
OP
P

poncho.m.0909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, sorry, the bony line along its body is very clear, and so is the sunken stomach.
Yeah, and I still dont get it. He appears to be eating copepods all day and he still is very skinny. I've tried several frozen and live foods with no success.

Daddio64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess
Yesterday and Today I tried feeding him live Brine but had no luck. Will try again tomorrow. How do you get him to pick on the Brine? Mine just ignores it or swims away from it.
I guess it was luck I just thought to try. I consider brine like potato chips for fish so I'd get them once in a while and throw them in noticed one day he'd eat them. Like I said now I just use the battery he doesn't always eat them sometimes just soon away. I'd keep trying I just put a about five milligrams of water from the brine cup near him. So not a ton as to confuse him with a ton. Last part is just an opinion. Honestly from your pictures he doesn't look too bad. I'll attach a shot of mine that's from July.

Attachments

• 20230709_185425.jpg
    20230709_185425.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 86

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a baby one from ORA that hasn't touched any foods I've offered. Every frozen food I have and super small pellets/flakes. I ran out and bought a bottle of tiger pods and put the whole thing in. My pico was already covered with pods but I'm playing it safe. I see him pecking around all day but it still has me concerned he hasn't taken any other foods. I feel your pain. He also seems to be sensitive to the light. He stays in the caves most of the day.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I recently bought a Mandarin Goby for my year and a half 32 gal saltwater tank, for the past 2 weeks I've seen him pecking at the substrate and rocks all the time which I suppose means there are copepods in the tank, but still he seems to be very thin and is not eating the live BBS I have attempted to feed him. Does he seem skinny or underfed to you? How can I get him to like BBS or any alternative methods of feeding? Any help appreciated!

Captura de pantalla 2023-08-19 a la(s) 19.48.17.png Captura de pantalla 2023-08-19 a la(s) 19.48.24.png
Add some bottled pods for him, mandarins dont eat frozen foods. Him being think suggests not enough pods, I always add pods to my tank to keep my guy happy and fat!

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very thin. It could go on probably 1-2 months currently, eventually you'll notice it will stop hunting pods. Not the answer you want to hear but I would take this chance while it's still healthy enough to bring it back to an LFS that has a big frag tank with mandarins in it

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck OP - continue to try the BBS and prepared foods and with time it will come around. The stomach in the photos is sunken and concerning but I've nursed mandarins back in worse health.

I have a baby one from ORA that hasn't touched any foods I've offered. Every frozen food I have and super small pellets/flakes. I ran out and bought a bottle of tiger pods and put the whole thing in. My pico was already covered with pods but I'm playing it safe. I see him pecking around all day but it still has me concerned he hasn't taken any other foods. I feel your pain. He also seems to be sensitive to the light. He stays in the caves most of the day.
If you see the fish pecking then it is eating. Keep an eye out for a sunken stomach.
Add some bottled pods for him, mandarins dont eat frozen foods. Him being think suggests not enough pods, I always add pods to my tank to keep my guy happy and fat!
Yes, OP should continue to add pods. Yes, mandarins can eat all sorts of foods. Mine pecks at rocks all day but also eats small pieces of frozen mysis and always eats the Formula 2 pellets that I add to the tank daily. Healthy with a fat belly.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back