Help me choose a new light (please)

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! My current AI Hydra 32s are nearing the end of their lives on my 4ft by 20in Reefer 350. I’m looking to change up the lights, but I’m getting overwhelmed and I need everyone’s opinion please. Currently, my tank is exclusively LPS and Softies but I’m hoping to foray into SPS too later down the line. Any light I get needs to be able to be tank mounted because the tank is in a room with vaulted ceilings and I’d prefer something lower-profile. I don’t really like the “blue” look so something that can get me a natural daylight look while still showing good colors on my coral is ideal. I also don’t really like shimmer.

So far, my top 3 are 2 Radion XR15 G6 pros,1 Reefbreeder photon 48 pro, or 2 ReeFi Uno 2.0s. Does anyone have an opinion between these three or perhaps have another option they think would work better?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi! My current AI Hydra 32s are nearing the end of their lives on my 4ft by 20in Reefer 350. I’m looking to change up the lights, but I’m getting overwhelmed and I need everyone’s opinion please. Currently, my tank is exclusively LPS and Softies but I’m hoping to foray into SPS too later down the line. Any light I get needs to be able to be tank mounted because the tank is in a room with vaulted ceilings and I’d prefer something lower-profile. I don’t really like the “blue” look so something that can get me a natural daylight look while still showing good colors on my coral is ideal. I also don’t like a ton of shimmer.

So far, my top 3 are 2 Radion XR15 G6 pros,1 Reefbreeder photon 48 pro, or 2 ReeFi Uno 2.0s. Does anyone have an opinion between these three or perhaps have another option they think would work better?

Thanks so much!
Photons ive always liked.

Look at Orphek compacts as well as Orphek OR3-120 sky blue and Blue Plus combo.
@noopsyche K7 V3 is also worth a look especially if you like shimmer

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi! My current AI Hydra 32s are nearing the end of their lives on my 4ft by 20in Reefer 350. I’m looking to change up the lights, but I’m getting overwhelmed and I need everyone’s opinion please. Currently, my tank is exclusively LPS and Softies but I’m hoping to foray into SPS too later down the line. Any light I get needs to be able to be tank mounted because the tank is in a room with vaulted ceilings and I’d prefer something lower-profile. I don’t really like the “blue” look so something that can get me a natural daylight look while still showing good colors on my coral is ideal. I also don’t really like shimmer.

Thanks so much!
What makes you want the g6 pros instead of the g6 blues?

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a radion g6 blue and just added a hydra 26 and I gotta say the hydra is much brighter and my Sps seem to like it! Go figure lol
Interesting! I liked my hydras but I want to try something new.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide on lights for my new 60g (24x24). From low to high budget, I am considering quanta pro bars, reefi uno 2.0, or orphek compact. I am leaning towards the uno 2.0. I have quanta pros on my 20 long, but I do wish they had dimming and more controllability. The uno 2.0 seems like a great light for the price, just curious on thoughts from others.

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I don’t like a super blue look in my tank so that seemed to make more sense. But I’d love your opinion!
There are still whites in the g6 blues just not as many
White lighting helps promote algae growth much easier than blue lights
The blue lights bring the fluorescent colors out in our corals which is what we all look for.
I run the g6 blue on my tank and I love everything about it

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks so much!
You’ll need 2 Radion XR30’s. The newer models do a good job of a “blanket” of light vs shimmer. Go with the Pro as they tend to be a bit whiter.

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You’ll need 2 Radion XR30’s. The newer models do a good job of a “blanket” of light vs shimmer. Go with the Pro as they tend to be a bit whiter.
With the new g6 he won’t need the xr30s
2 xr15s will surely be enough
Go check out jake adams video on the topic of the new g6 lights

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 15’s will work but I’d go with 30’s.. I’m currently running a single 15 over a 60 gal cube 24x24x24 and everything is growing but I feel it could be much better! I added more light after 4 months to test and see if I get a growth spurt or not.. I’ll know more in a couple months

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! My current AI Hydra 32s are nearing the end of their lives on my 4ft by 20in Reefer 350.

So the tank is 20 inches front to back? Can you please tell us the depth of the tank?

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh. Spicy. Will do. I have G5’s and since I bought them “at the end” I haven’t bothered to look at the G6’s.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I read. I’m not sure “surely be enough” is accurate. I’ll go with “probably be fine to start depending on needs.” Doesn’t look like they’re changing wattage much (10 watts) since you can upgrade from the G5 to the G6. They claim better spread but at the end of the day it’s the same dang light with some different LED placement and more UV and blues. Quite honestly OP said they wanted “daylight” which kind of goes against that.

I don’t want to be pedantic here but for me, I’d rather run a full blanket of light at 60-70% vs eeking by with two fixtures that “pretty much” cover the tank at 100%. None of this equipment was designed to be run at 100%- or even 90% long term. If you don’t believe me, ask my wallet and my angry wife who watched 4 Kessil A360x’s all die within 2 months out of warranty after being fastidiously cleaned and ran at 100%.

Then again at this point I’m so jaded the only reviews I’ll take are people on this forum with results and time with a product. These companies are paying too much to reviewers and websites to shill their products.

Go watch the BRSTV where they review the Kessil 500x and are just like “this light doesn’t need to exist but I’m sure somebody out there is dumb enough to buy it despite its use case being commercial aquariums and people with too much money.”

Just my 2 cents.

LivingroomDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat. Pretty much exact same tank size but waterbox. I have Prime 16 HD at the moment. I'm leaning strongly towards the Reefi Uno 2. Probably will order next week. Still debating lol.

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The 15’s will work but I’d go with 30’s.. I’m currently running a single 15 over a 60 gal cube 24x24x24 and everything is growing but I feel it could be much better! I added more light after 4 months to test and see if I get a growth spurt or not.. I’ll know more in a couple months
By all means yes they would produce more par throughout the tank but unless he plans to do a bunch of SPS he might as well save a bunch of money and buy a couple xr15s

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For price to performance ratio, you can't beat the Noopsyche K7 Pro III's. Just throwing that into the mix. @Zach B is the exclusive North American distributor for them and has lighting fast turn around on shipping.

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Orphek OR3 bars, they are really affordable and have amazing build quality. I’ve got 4 x 90cm Blue Plus and my corals have never looked so florescent and my shrooms are bouncing like crazy, brilliant growth as well. I love how if you are on a budget you can just add extra bars as your wallet allows and the colour selection is amazing. I’ve read they are bringing out a controller so they can be programmed via wifi. Game changers!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back