Help me decide on my reefing approach

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, I need help deciding on my approach with my new nano tank

My new tank will have live rock from Tampa Bag Saltwater

I plan on purchasing a pair of clowns from dr reef, although I’m putting them in the DT with ocean rock, which I doubt would cause my fish to become I’ll (anything is possible though in this hobby)

I would like to make this tank a Euphyllia reef, however I know that any introduction into my reef could cause my clowns to become ill to disease.

I wouldn’t want to QT coral for 45 days, I don’t think I’d be able to get coral through that length. I also have 14 gallons total on DT, i would opt for a 5 gallon tank or perhaps 8 gal in a 10 gal breeder if need be

I heard nems only require 16 days and don’t require the alk, cal, or mag to grow, which I think would call for a far simpler display and QT process

TL;DR coral qt to me personally seems risky to frags and a bit challenging maintaining water quality for 45 days (disease prevention). I have some reefing time under my belt but inexperienced in inspecting coral. Would you personally opt for this process, or should I keep it more simple and start with a nem tank ?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That small tank is going to be very challenging to keep anemone in, and folks recommend that they dont go into a young tank.

Same for clownfish, especially a pair. The tank is going to be very crowded. If you start wit juvenile fish they don't come with a guarantee that they will tolerate each other and pair up.

You can start with an older pair to get around that but two clowns an a nem are going to be a lot of bioload, imo. Hopefully others will chime in on my assertions.

If you are getting live rock the tank will need to cycle with just the live rock in it for some time (unknown, it will depend on the rock you get through shipping). But if you are patient with just rock and tank then within a few weeks or even a months time it is likely that the rock will be safe to add other animals.

At that point, I would add the (LPS) coral if that is what you want besides clowns and anemone. Let the LPS get used to living in solitary confinement (compared to the ocean) and after 45 days of LPS, liverock, and no fish you will be safe to add clowns and not worry too much about disease if they don't come with something from the vendor.

Some folks would recommend 60 days fallow of coral and liverock only, again lets see what others suggest.

The coral don't need to have an ammonia cycled tank like fish do so there is that to consider.

Get a bigger tank, or let the clowns set up shop in a coral head instead of a nem. If you get tank reared fishes they might no notice the missing nem?

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That small tank is going to be very challenging to keep anemone in, and folks recommend that they dont go into a young tank.

Same for clownfish, especially a pair. The tank is going to be very crowded. If you start wit juvenile fish they don't come with a guarantee that they will tolerate each other and pair up.

You can start with an older pair to get around that but two clowns an a nem are going to be a lot of bioload, imo. Hopefully others will chime in on my assertions.

If you are getting live rock the tank will need to cycle with just the live rock in it for some time (unknown, it will depend on the rock you get through shipping). But if you are patient with just rock and tank then within a few weeks or even a months time it is likely that the rock will be safe to add other animals.

At that point, I would add the (LPS) coral if that is what you want besides clowns and anemone. Let the LPS get used to living in solitary confinement (compared to the ocean) and after 45 days of LPS, liverock, and no fish you will be safe to add clowns and not worry too much about disease if they don't come with something from the vendor.

Some folks would recommend 60 days fallow of coral and liverock only, again lets see what others suggest.

The coral don't need to have an ammonia cycled tank like fish do so there is that to consider.

Get a bigger tank, or let the clowns set up shop in a coral head instead of a nem. If you get tank reared fishes they might no notice the missing nem?
I appreciate the response

I used to have a pair in a 20 without bio load issues, however, I did have aggression issues to the point the smaller clown wouldn’t eat and lost some weight

I like the idea of keeping my live rock fallow in the DT. I know bacteria never truly die off, but I wonder how no/ low ammonia source would affect the live rocked bio diversity

LPS are definitely what I opt for. I like your idea about adding some coral score fish and letting them go fallow before adding fish. I have had clowns host my hammers

I will be getting fish from dr reef

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of keeping my live rock fallow in the DT. I know bacteria never truly die off, but I wonder how no/ low ammonia source would affect the live rocked bio diversity
There's no reason you can't still feed the tank...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw live rock into buckets and let it coast for months sometimes. In the summer the little critters I can see swimming around often don't seem to mind being in a bucket without a fish. Aiptasia will live happily in there as well, until I address them to eternal perdition. :cool:

Microbes can/will rest and persist easily for 60 days without any ghost feeding or fish inputs. The tiny amounts of energy that persists on the surface of the live rock is all they need. Ghost feeding is a Thanksgiving meal big enough for the entire ocean and will cause the microbe populations to explode above the carrying capacity of the tank when you are adding ocean live rock.

I wonder if the sellers of liverock are recommending ghost feeding? I hope not.:cool:

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
As for low/ no ammonia while you fallow your live rock, ghost feed small amounts fairly regularly and that should keep the biodiversity established.

You can introduce copepods and amphipods fairly soon with actual live rock, and dose phytoplankton so that any sponges, feather dusters and other filter feeding life on the rock have a nutritional food source.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw live rock into buckets and let it coast for months sometimes. In the summer the little critters I can see swimming around often don't seem to mind being in a bucket without a fish. Aiptasia will live happily in there as well, until I address them to eternal perdition. :cool:

Microbes can/will rest and persist easily for 60 days without any ghost feeding or fish inputs. The tiny amounts of energy that persists on the surface of the live rock is all they need. Ghost feeding is a Thanksgiving meal big enough for the entire ocean and will cause the microbe populations to explode above the carrying capacity of the tank when you are adding ocean live rock.

I wonder if the sellers of liverock are recommending ghost feeding? I hope not.:cool:
So in a sense, if I I understand correctly, bacteria won’t be affected what so ever ?

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for low/ no ammonia while you fallow your live rock, ghost feed small amounts fairly regularly and that should keep the biodiversity established.

You can introduce copepods and amphipods fairly soon with actual live rock, and dose phytoplankton so that any sponges, feather dusters and other filter feeding life on the rock have a nutritional food source.
I really like that idea ! Gives me a chance to fallow before fish intro to the tank! I’m paying some decent $$ for bio diversity, I definitely want to keep it that way !

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that idea ! Gives me a chance to fallow before fish intro to the tank! I’m paying some decent $$ for bio diversity, I definitely want to keep it that way !
I think you are on the right track from your replies. Start a build thread?

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS. I believe I’m better off sticking to my plan on a Euphyllia reef, it’s really a favorite of mine

Going to set up a coral QT when the time comes. I’ll have to find the space, but maybe I wouldn’t mind having a 10 gallon breeder on an opposite corner from my reef, I guess the desk will have to go somewhere else

When the time comes that will also have its own spotlight

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
PS. I believe I’m better off sticking to my plan on a Euphyllia reef, it’s really a favorite of mine

Going to set up a coral QT when the time comes. I’ll have to find the space, but maybe I wouldn’t mind having a 10 gallon breeder on an opposite corner from my reef, I guess the desk will have to go somewhere else

When the time comes that will also have its own spotlight
Yes, I have so many QT’s that basically if I can find a spot in the floor close enough to an outlet I’m good. Does make water changes more challenging though.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your starting fresh with live rock, I wouldn’t worry about anything. No QT <--- OMG did he just say that???? In truth what is QT going to accomplish? It is a new system and really QT's are for ppl that do not want to nuke their existing system. I have been exactly where you are. I bought a Fiji cube 10g, threw some live rock, two clowns, a couple anemone's in there and a toxic hammer plus some other stuff. 2 years later... The clowns are in the 30g, just laid another clutch of eggs today, with one of the original BTA's. the other anemone is in the 40g and is at least the size of a dinner plate. the toxic hammer has at least 11 heads on it now and is also in the 40g. In my tanks I take proactive measures when I introduce corals, but I do not QT them. Fish, that is a different story. They go into a QT for observation and feeding and possible meds. Because now I have an investment in those tanks. When I started my 10g I did not, and neither will you. So that's why I say just go for it. Start your cycle with your live rock. Any die off will be your ammonia source. Let it cycle til you get to your GHA stage and add your anemone or hammers etc. with your clowns.
That's my two nickels rubbed together.
IMG_9375.jpeg

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have so many QT’s that basically if I can find a spot in the floor close enough to an outlet I’m good. Does make water changes more challenging though.
I’m going to be running a BB display tank so WC should be easier without siphoning the sand.

I will run a 10 gallon breeder with & gallons of water, I’ll be using DT water, meaning I’ll have to opt for slightly bigger water changes on my display, in order to go keep nutrients in check and elements too

How many QT do you have ?

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your starting fresh with live rock, I wouldn’t worry about anything. No QT <--- OMG did he just say that???? In truth what is QT going to accomplish? It is a new system and really QT's are for ppl that do not want to nuke their existing system. I have been exactly where you are. I bought a Fiji cube 10g, threw some live rock, two clowns, a couple anemone's in there and a toxic hammer plus some other stuff. 2 years later... The clowns are in the 30g, just laid another clutch of eggs today, with one of the original BTA's. the other anemone is in the 40g and is at least the size of a dinner plate. the toxic hammer has at least 11 heads on it now and is also in the 40g. In my tanks I take proactive measures when I introduce corals, but I do not QT them. Fish, that is a different story. They go into a QT for observation and feeding and possible meds. Because now I have an investment in those tanks. When I started my 10g I did not, and neither will you. So that's why I say just go for it. Start your cycle with your live rock. Any die off will be your ammonia source. Let it cycle til you get to your GHA stage and add your anemone or hammers etc. with your clowns.
That's my two nickels rubbed together.
IMG_9375.jpeg
Thank you for the suggestions. You’re right, I see your reasoning and that’s why I’m curious as to whether I shoulder qt the rock or not

I only plan on keeping a pair of clowns in the 14 gallon peninsula, so even if an incident were to occur I wouldn’t lose $$ on livestock, however I wouldn’t want my clowns to suffer.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine for diver collected live rock will undermine its purpose of biodiversity.
This is my worries too. I’m still debating.

Honestly, all this QT processes seem simple yet difficult for varying reasons

I could also throw a pair of clowns in with the Live rock and take the risk, but I doubt the fish would get sick (that’s just an I don’t think so, but could happen)

As for coral QT, having a 14 gal display would prevent me from being able to use much water from my display for coral dipping purposes and water changes, although I could, but I would need to execute higher % water changes, which in the beginning would help with nutrient levels, but after the tank matures a little more, could deplete nutrients in DT

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for coral QT, having a 14 gal display would prevent me from being able to use much water from my display for coral dipping purposes and water changes, although I could, but I would need to execute higher % water changes, which in the beginning would help with nutrient levels, but after the tank matures a little more, could deplete nutrients in DT
Just dip corals with fresh saltwater...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be honest, sometime I forget to think lol, you’re absolutely right
Also, maybe I mis-read, but it sounds like you plan to use water from your display to do water changes on the QT... don't do this! You'll risk adding pathogens from the display which will render the "quarantine" useless.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back