OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, maybe I mis-read, but it sounds like you plan to use water from your display to do water changes on the QT... don't do this! You'll risk adding pathogens from the display which will render the "quarantine" useless.
That is the plan, are you referring to fish disease or coral pest?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the plan, are you referring to fish disease or coral pest?
Fish disease. But also, if you're changing the water in your display, it will be due to poor (or sub-optimal) water quality... why would you want your coral (in the QT) to have this water added?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine for diver collected live rock will undermine its purpose of biodiversity.
How?? If the rock is kept fallow (i.e. no fish added) for the correct period of time to allow fish pathogens to die off, how does this have anything to do with its biodiversity??

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I’m going to be running a BB display tank so WC should be easier without siphoning the sand.

I will run a 10 gallon breeder with & gallons of water, I’ll be using DT water, meaning I’ll have to opt for slightly bigger water changes on my display, in order to go keep nutrients in check and elements too

How many QT do you have ?
I have a combined system with sump that is three tanks at about 110g, 2 40 breeders, 4 20’s and 6 10’s. All run all the time incase I get an urge. Then sterilized and reset for the next batch. If problems arise I can use them for TTM.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How?? If the rock is kept fallow (i.e. no fish added) for the correct period of time to allow fish pathogens to die off, how does this have anything to do with its biodiversity??
“Rock kept fallow”

Why would you purchase live rock for diversity and assume the only biodiversity is fish pest?

I get diver collected uncured live rock. If you put that rock in quarantine, biodiversity will decrease. Not sure what kind of live rock you are talking about. This is premium Gulf Live Rock.

PS: This is a list of some biodiversity

Last edited:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the suggestions. You’re right, I see your reasoning and that’s why I’m curious as to whether I shoulder qt the rock or not

I only plan on keeping a pair of clowns in the 14 gallon peninsula, so even if an incident were to occur I wouldn’t lose $$ on livestock, however I wouldn’t want my clowns to suffer.
Starting your 14g with live rock is basically a kind of quarantine anyway, observational at the very least. If you start it with the live rock, it will be a few weeks anyway for it to get established. You will be well entertained with the goodies that came with it. In fact you may have to feed your new tank with phyto etc. even before you put one fish in. You can take a page out of @Paul B 's book and view that a healthy fish that is nutritionally happy will be able to fight off stress related diseases. Clownfish I feel are pretty hardy creatures in the first place. I think you are thinking too much about it. Just enjoy the experience, and learn by observation.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting your 14g with live rock is basically a kind of quarantine anyway, observational at the very least. If you start it with the live rock, it will be a few weeks anyway for it to get established. You will be well entertained with the goodies that came with it. In fact you may have to feed your new tank with phyto etc. even before you put one fish in. You can take a page out of @Paul B 's book and view that a healthy fish that is nutritionally happy will be able to fight off stress related diseases. Clownfish I feel are pretty hardy creatures in the first place. I think you are thinking too much about it. Just enjoy the experience, and learn by observation.
@PaulB & I have never quarantined in our combined 106 years of reefing. He dives for his live rock, I purchase mine direct from the divers.
PS: I stand corrected. Paul made his own live rock, yet he dives and collects some.

Stress is a major contributor of all fish deaths and quarantine causes stress.

August 2022, I visited Paul at his Long Island home one month after this interview was conducted:

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Rock kept fallow”

Why would you purchase live rock for diversity and assume the only biodiversity is fish pest?

I get diver collected uncured live rock. If you put that rock in quarantine, biodiversity will decrease. Not sure what kind of live rock you are talking about. This is premium Gulf Live Rock.

PS: This is a list of some biodiversity

So you're telling me that if I buy premium Gulf Live Rock and keep it in a tank that happens to have no fish, the biodiversity is decreased?? I don't believe that for a minute!

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am too lol, I’m still fairly new. Funny you mentioned paul, I’ve always thought how crazy he was for doing what he does, especially when this forum has a lot of “QT this or else suffer the consequences’ type of vibe.

I read some of his threads today and a lot of what he states makes a lot of sense. I mean, we are talking about the ocean here, I don’t think the ocean has doctors down there with meds…

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am too lol, I’m still fairly new. Funny you mentioned paul, I’ve always thought how crazy he was for doing what he does, especially when this forum has a lot of “QT this or else suffer the consequences’ type of vibe.

I read some of his threads today and a lot of what he states makes a lot of sense. I mean, we are talking about the ocean here, I don’t think the ocean has doctors down there with meds…
Except surgeonfish...

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're telling me that if I buy premium Gulf Live Rock and keep it in a tank that happens to have no fish, the biodiversity is decreased?? I don't believe that for a minute.
So you're telling me that if I buy premium Gulf Live Rock and keep it in a tank that happens to have no fish, the biodiversity is decreased?? I don't believe that for a minute

Please explain your thoughts on enhanced biodiversity during quarantine
This is what I observe: when diver harvested live rock is moved nto a sterile quarantine tank, it will starve to death without the microbial loop. I define that as loss of biodiversity.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please explain your thoughts on enhanced biodiversity during quarantine
This is what I observe: when harvested live rock is
moved nto a sterile quarantine tank, it will starve to death without the microbial loop. I define that as loss of biodiversity.
You're missing the whole point of this thread! I suggest you read it from the beginning and you'll see what the OP is asking. We're talking about potentially keeping fish out of the tank containing the live rock until a fallow period has been completed. Nothing more.

A QT does not need to be "sterile". And what about people who cure their live rock and cycle the tank at the same time?

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PaulB & I have never quarantined in our combined 106 years of reefing. He dives for his live rock, I purchase mine direct from the divers.
PS: I stand corrected. Paul made his own live rock, yet he dives and collects some.

Stress is a major contributor of all fish deaths and quarantine causes stress.

August 2022, I visited Paul at his Long Island home one month after this interview was conducted:

MARSH, wait… are you from Houston ?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're missing the whole point of this thread! I suggest you read it from the beginning and you'll see what the OP is asking. We're talking about potentially keeping fish out of the tank containing the live rock until a fallow period has been completed. Nothing more.

A QT does not need to be "sterile". And what about people who cure their live rock and cycle the tank at the same time?

This is the OP’‘s first sentence:

“As the title states, I need help deciding on my approach with my new nano tank”

With that said, I don’t think I am missing the point. First off, I read other threads by the op to better understand the question. As I understood the post, a question revolves around the need to quarantine live rock. And my answer was that quarantine was absolutely unnecessary and in fact, quarantine was unproductive.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want a dependable, long term easy to operate ecosystem, then cycle the tank with 5 pounds of diver collected live rock and 5 pounds of live sand.

Angel,
If I got your thread off track, pardon me. At 75 years young, I do that at times.
Viva La difference
MARSH, wait… are you from Houston ?
When J worked 28 days on/28 days off, Transoceans corporate office was in Houston and I was an active member of MARSH 20 years ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a dependable, long term easy to operate ecosystem, then cycle the tank with 5 pounds of diver collected live rock and 5 pounds of live sand.

Angel,
If I got your thread off track, pardon me. At 75 years young, I do that at times.
Viva La difference

When J worked 28 days on/28 days off, Transoceans corporate office was in Houston and I was an active member of MARSH 20 years ago.
I’m definitely going live rock. I would like to go bare bottom if possible since I want to keep water changes fairly simple without having to siphon sand, thoughts ?

Awesome and wow, at 21 years OLD, I’ve always adored the ocean and it’s beautiful reefs/ habitants, I never understood why but I do

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might go with one of the nano packages that either Gulf or Tampa Bay sells. You are going to pay the shipping anyway. Or they also have a baserock and premium. Which lets you cycle your tank with base rock and after a month you get the premium rock so you don’t lose anything.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back