Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow is wc day and again Im
getting nervous.
Tested alk twice a day all week salifert 8dkh/ 2.85 meq it did not change. Hanna checker says im at 8.6dkh. I dont care what the number as log as its stable.
I made up some water today and circulated it for some time, now its just sitting in the container. Ill do my change tomorrow. After blowing out the rocks and removing all the detritus

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading and rereading, checking logs and comparing notes. I came to a conclusion. Weather its right or not time will tell. But I noticed a couple post in here refering to nutrients. So thats what lead me back to my log and it seems no3 and po4 were alot lower when i was having better sucess. I guess over time it just kept creeping up and i never really noticed because corals always looked fine. So anyway I decided to dig in and do some cleaning. Also started water mix a day earlier to airate so I'm not just mixing and using (about an hour sit time).
I started with blowing out all the rocks thoroughly. There was alot of stuff in the rocks so I guess i have been neglecting my cleaning a little bit more and more each week. Without realizing it. With the new tank build things contiued to get worse and went unidentified until it was a problem.
Now with a new outlook i believe this is where i failed and am hopeful i can recover. Thanks for all the comment and help. Ill keep posting my assessment and observations and hope this will be the fix

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update things looked better then the past few months, yesterday. I did norice any burt tips. And montis looked better then they had in a while.
Post cleanup the po4 was at 0.1 and no3 was upto 25 hoping a good size wc will bring both back down a little.
Things are looking up.
Also started wet skimming to reduce nutrients

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still having the same issues. Things look better for a couple days then 180by second half of the week. Half my acros are unaffected, all montis bleaching some still have polyp with know tissue, birdnest had polyp bailout.
All tested twice daily steady 8-8.3 dkh only rises by the end of the week because of the corals stop consuming .
My initial thought that it was nutrient is blown out of the water because other have higher levels of P and Po4 and everything is great.
SO ANY DIRECTION WOULD BE HELPFUL

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought maybe some pics would help.
20171017_193324.jpg
tri color validia burnt tips
20171017_193239.jpg

Miami orchids burnt tips
20171017_193203.jpg

Blue voodoo burnt tips
20171017_193016.jpg

Joe the corals burnt tips, bellina below with a coupe burnt tips not near as bad as the others.
20171017_180934.jpg

Birdnest polyp bailout and tissue lost, bird of paradise unaffected in back.
20171017_193043.jpg
mystic sunset completely bleached with algae growing, top and right side.
Red planet acro and spongegodas in middle unaffected.
Orange cap very pale
20171017_180957.jpg
mystic sunset montis top with a can and rainbow monti bottom.
Water change was sunday pics took tonight.
A few other lps and and about 15 across not affected other than color

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done a ICP test just to check things out?

Possible you may have some contamination in the water.

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not be the same problem with your tank but I was having the same issues. I slowly raised my alk as I was pretty low nutrients with low ALK I had same issues. My problem slowly went a way after bringing alk in the 9's. Just my 2 cents.
Also I had less issues when I quit testing all the time and just spent more time slowly doing water changes to gradually bring in new water. I hope you recover. Those are some nice corals you got there. Good luck and stick with it.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if it's your problem or not but I had similar problems for a couple of years. A long yo=yo cycle of growing, burned tips, slow death, repeat. After talking with Adam at Battlecorals I pulled all GFO and carbon off my system completely. It took about 5 weeks for nutrients to stabilize but since the yo-yo has stopped , stuff is coloring up and slowly starting to grow. For what it's worth, in his new build thread he posted that his nutrients were way higher than most on this board, NO3 at like 20, can't remember PO4 but it was not .0 something. I do run some siporax in my sump but otherwise nothing but skimmer and water changes and food. Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if it's your problem or not but I had similar problems for a couple of years. A long yo=yo cycle of growing, burned tips, slow death, repeat. After talking with Adam at Battlecorals I pulled all GFO and carbon off my system completely. It took about 5 weeks for nutrients to stabilize but since the yo-yo has stopped , stuff is coloring up and slowly starting to grow. For what it's worth, in his new build thread he posted that his nutrients were way higher than most on this board, NO3 at like 20, can't remember PO4 but it was not .0 something. I do run some siporax in my sump but otherwise nothing but skimmer and water changes and food. Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be.
Funny , Im actually the one that asked Adam. His po4 and P are higher than mine on the ICP results.
I'm not running anything other than wc and b ionic 2 part

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely seems as if something is being introduced to the system. This week post wc the usual acros released there filaments prior to tissue loss on tips. I took some pics with the tank lights off and just residual day light in the tank to show tissue loss. One thing I checked was the tips are not brittle so my first assessment of burnt tips I feel is incorrect.
Along with the usuals I hand a couple previous unaffected acros showing slight filaments and now have a couple tips with tissue loss.
I have been informed to check magnets and cords for exposure and have not come up with a smoking gun so to speak. So any advice on what to look at for a cause of introduction of a untraceable contaminate would be helpful. I'm pretty much in a desperate state as it seems to be affecting more than 75% of my collection.
Here are the pictures I was referring to
20171021_090212.jpg
20171021_090223.jpg
20171021_090228.jpg
20171021_090234.jpg
20171021_090249.jpg

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no water change this week to see if maybe I was introducing something. Ended up haveing tissue loss mid week again. This time i noticed on the picture that the red dragon is receding at the base as well as tips and I have not been able to find a smoking gun. Alk still 8-8.3 dkh tested twice daily to see if I'm spiking somewhere.
Screenshot_20171026-114215.png
This pic was taken on the 21st but it is the same track 8-8.3
here are some more pics of the death that's taking place.
20171024_183059.jpg
20171024_183109.jpg
20171024_183157.jpg
20171024_183407.jpg
20171024_183456.jpg
The makeup water and water change i can eliminate based on similar result without doing it, right? I have no idea anymore. This is pretty painful to watch, it's just a slow death. There has to be something that I'm missing. I have bden able to recover other peoples systems. But mine is crashing makes no sense to me.
Somebody throw me a bone.

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: ignore me pics in first post weren't showing

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an alk burn. Let your alk fall a bit and give it a few weeks. What's the worst that could happen? What you are doing isn't working for whatever reason. Too low of nutrients, too high of lights, too high of alk, or water contamination. Based on what you've said it's alk. You switched from brs correct? Personally I'd turn off my doser right now. I've been down this road more then once.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an alk burn. Let your alk fall a bit and give it a few weeks. What's the worst that could happen? What you are doing isn't working for whatever reason. Too low of nutrients, too high of lights, too high of alk, or water contamination. Based on what you've said it's alk. You switched from brs correct? Personally I'd turn off my doser right now. I've been down this road more then once.
Thanks for the response scott.
Yep you have a point what can it hurt. Doser is off and I'll let the alk fall to 7. Yes I switched from brs to b ionic

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back