Help me out with tank size please !

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of reverse engineering here. I’m contemplating getting a Red sea reefer 250 (54 + 11 gallons total 65) or 200 XL (42 + 11 gallons = 53 gallons).

BUT….

I have a limitation regarding water changes. I can only manage 5 gallons per 10 days approximately + the occasional emergency.

Is that enough for a Sea reefer 250 with softies and LPS, a few fish and a cleaning crew ?

If not, from your experience, what’s the biggest volume I should aim for ?

Thank you !

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I do the math that equates to around 20 to 30% monthly, plus some volume will be taken up with rock. I think that should be fine. I shoot for about 20% monthly.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done a water change in 2 months. Why the limitations on water though?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My health isn’t so good and I have an energy / strength deficiency.
Sorry to hear that. Ever thought about an auto water change system?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you look into something like the Reef Moonshiners program, you can basically eliminate water changes. I still do one every couple months or so just to help with things we can't test for. Especially toxins

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your health issue. Assuming you have a good skimmer, a lot of rock, and are dosing various supplements, you can get away with small percent water changes. Some would argue that if you do it right, you wouldn't need water changes at all. I'm not in that camp though, so I'd recommend doing the max water change that you can, when you can in your situation (5G every 10 days). If you have 50G NET water volume and are doing all the other stuff I mentioned, I'd think you'd be fine with that water change regimen. And in reefing, it's always better to err on the side of a bigger tank.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look into something like the Reef Moonshiners program, you can basically eliminate water changes.
Thank you, I will look into that !

I'm not in that camp though, so I'd recommend doing the max water change that you can, when you can in your situation (5G every 10 days). If you have 50G NET water volume and are doing all the other stuff I mentioned, I'd think you'd be fine with that water change regimen. And in reefing, it's always better to err on the side of a bigger tank.

If I go with the Reefer 250, then it would be 65 gallons, counting the 11 gallons sump.

I will most certainly have a lot of rocks, a good skimmer and I would like to do dosing as well. I haven’t looked into it yet but I think Red Sea has an automated system.

Thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back