Help Me Pick New Lights

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. i really didn't know Sunpower fixtures were so popular. I though most would be talking about the high end LEDs. I'm not a big fan of shimmer and I do have shadowing issues that I'd like to resolve. So, if I chose the 6 bulb ATI Sunpower, non-dimmable model, what bulb combinations would you all recommend?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI sunpower is one of the most consistently ranked T5 fixtures around. The reason you are likely receiving a bunch of votes for T5 stems from the plug and play nature and your tank dimensions. These are lights that we know will work for growing your acros- if they're not growing, then you can rule out the lights (assuming you have the correct mounting height and your photoperiod isn't photoinhibitory). However, with LEDS, while they will grow any SPS, you can turn the light up too much or down too much. Therefore, there is room for the hobbyist to fail at growing SPS if they just plugged the unit in. They're easy to tune with a par meter or copying the settings for standard tanks at set heights, but they aren't what I would call plug and play. If you wanted to be able to fine tune your colors to get the perfect fluorescence or were looking to light a 40" deep tank, then you might get different responses.

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I think I've taken full advantage of about every screw-up opportunity I've encountered so far. Removing one is appealing. I've watched the video you guys posted and also Part II. I'll watch them again and decide what bulbs to order. I guess the last thing I have to think about is if I want the more expensive model to control ramp up and down. I know it isn't required, but it might be cool. Cool enough for the extra $200? I don't know, but I'll have to figure that out quick because I'm going to pull the trigger today. Thanks all.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might help you decide dimmable vs non dimmable ATI:

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the dimming was totally unnecessary.... instead turn on pairs of bulbs staggered to simulate a sun rise

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've checked out the videos everyone recommended and gave it some thought. I see the value of T5s for my size tank and really haven't had great luck with LEDs so far. Here's my plan as of now.
8X 54W Sunpower Non-dimmable fixture operated on two lamp timers, and a bulb combination of: 4 ATI Blue Plus; 2 ATI Coral Plus; and 2 ATI Aquablue Specials.

I know JDA said a 6X fixture was fine, but thought maybe 8 would be better. Chad @ BRS thought it wasn't overkill, but maybe that was just up-selling. I would appreciate feedback on the 6 vs 8 bulb decision and my selection of bulbs. Thanks.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think six would be enough
And it would be narrow enough to add an actinic bar (reefbrite)l etc)

eight would be overkill, perhaps someone else can comment on 6 V 8

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back