Help me pick which tang

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that everywhere I've looked into tangs as well. Stays a little smaller than the Tomini.

"Surgeonfishes of the World" by John Randall (guy named many of the species in there) has them within a cm of each other.
Fishbase has tomini being 1cm longer.

Just curious where tomini is categorized as smaller. All my reading has all in that genus really close to each other in size, other than chevron.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure? What's your source for that?
I would put too great stocks on the size of these tangs. The White tail, Square tail and Flame tail are all listed within 1/2 inch maximum size of each other. I think LiveAquaria list Tomini at 6 inches, while the Square tail and White tail at 6.5 inches.
Fishbase certainly have wrong information at times. My C. cyanogularis, Bluethroat Fairy, listed by Fishbase at having maximum of 6.2 cm. The blue throat I have in my tank grew from less than 2 inches to 3.5+ inches with is at least 9 cm.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put too great stocks on the size of these tangs. The White tail, Square tail and Flame tail are all listed within 1/2 inch maximum size of each other. I think LiveAquaria list Tomini at 6 inches, while the Square tail and White tail at 6.5 inches.
Fishbase certainly have wrong information at times. My C. cyanogularis, Bluethroat Fairy, listed by Fishbase at having maximum of 6.2 cm. The blue throat I have in my tank grew from less than 2 inches to 3.5+ inches with is at least 9 cm.
I would put less stock in Live Aquaria

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with a Tomini. Here he is in my quarantine tank.

shemp.jpg

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love purple tang. Ever since I first saw one. That being said. I feel like the yellow eye kole tang can give off similar colors to the purple. And that is why I would say go with a yellow eye. I do have a tomini in QT and it is beautiful.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back