Help me pick which tang

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I am ready to get a tang for my Red Sea 425 (90 gallons). SPS & LPS corals, no softies. Current fish list is (1 of each):

Chromis
Bangai Cardinal
Midas Blenny
Lawnmower Blenny
Pink spotted goby
Blackstorm clown
Black lightning clown
Royal gramma
Bullet goby

I only want one tang, and I have narrowed it down to either a yellow eye kole tang, or a bristletooth tomini, but I can not decide which one to choose. Would like to hear everyone's thoughts.

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I am ready to get a tang for my Red Sea 425 (90 gallons). SPS & LPS corals, no softies. Current fish list is (1 of each):

Chromis
Bangai Cardinal
Midas Blenny
Lawnmower Blenny
Pink spotted goby
Blackstorm clown
Black lightning clown
Royal gramma
Bullet goby

I only want one tang, and I have narrowed it down to either a yellow eye kole tang, or a bristletooth tomini, but I can not decide which one to choose. Would like to hear everyone's thoughts.

I had the same dilemma, and have ultimately decided on the tomini. I like the adult colors better, and it's a little bit smaller. I have a 90 gallon too. I haven't purchased it yet, bc I'm adding it last.

ReefSCTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

Chromis
Bangai Cardinal
Midas Blenny
Lawnmower Blenny
Pink spotted goby
Blackstorm clown
Black lightning clown
Royal gramma
Bullet goby

I have:

1 lawnmower blenny
1 filefish
1 yellow tang
1 fire shrimp
2 chromis
1 ocellaris clownfish
1 Picasso clownfish
3 pajama fish

Pretty basic I guess. Surprisingly, they all get along great. I started with five chromis, but the dominant one killed three of the others. I have a 75 gallon tank with a 35 gallon sump. I intend to get 150 gallon by the time the yellow tang gets larger. probably in two years. i’m done with fish unless something changes. I had a clown fish that jumped out of the tank and I didn’t find it until too late. She was replaced. Investing in corals now til I go broke.

Filefish is interesting but he killed a duncan and a feather duster coral. So I have to watch him closely when I’m feeding the corals. The fire shrimp's multing creeps me out but he’s an interesting one too. He’s really really good at cleaning the other fish.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White tail is the smallest of the tangs, next is a Tomini. I have the Tomini in my 125 gallon. He’s the only tang I have and ever plan on having do to space.

Having only one in a 90 is the best for the tang.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tomini would be the most sensible choice since it stays a bit smaller than the Kole but either would be a decent choice for a Tang in your size of a tank. One word of caution though, you are placing a fish that is somewhat aggressive and significantly larger in a tank with a bunch of smaller fish. It's entirely possible that they will be bullied without something else to keep the tang in check. I'm not saying don't do it, just keep an eye on it.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a Tomini in the bristle tooth family ? If so, a good choice . They are avid algae eaters I believe.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tomini would be the most sensible choice since it stays a bit smaller than the Kole but either would be a decent choice for a Tang in your size of a tank. One word of caution though, you are placing a fish that is somewhat aggressive and significantly larger in a tank with a bunch of smaller fish. It's entirely possible that they will be bullied without something else to keep the tang in check. I'm not saying don't do it, just keep an eye on it.

Yeah, that certainly does give me pause. I really do want a tang, but it is more important to me to do right by my current fish and not create a problem situation.

FoxyFace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow eye kole. The contrast and coloring is more attractive to me. I had them in the past. Great fish. I don't see it being a bully as it's the low man on the totem pole being added last.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a Tomini in the bristle tooth family ? If so, a good choice . They are avid algae eaters I believe.

Same genus, yes.

@AngryMike2016 , good choice on the tomini. But you couldn't have gone wrong with kole, or any of them in the Ctenochaetus genus. The only one that gets large is chevron.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he made the right choice with the Tomini. It stays smaller and there are more instances of the Kole being aggressive than the Tomini. Either way keep an eye on it's interactions with the smaller more timid fish in that tank.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reall
I think he made the right choice with the Tomini. It stays smaller and there are more instances of the Kole being aggressive than the Tomini. Either way keep an eye on it's interactions with the smaller more timid fish in that tank.

Certainly will. Hopefully for now with him being no more than 1 1/2" himself he shouldn't be much of a bully.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back